Обсуждение: optimal insert

optimal insert

От
"Dirk Jagdmann"
Дата:
Hello experts,

I have a database that contains three tables:

create table a ( id serial primary key, ... -- some more fields not relevant for my question
);
create table b ( id serial primary key, ... -- some more fields not relevant for my question
);
create table a_b ( a int not null references a, b int not null references b
);

Tables a and b have already been filled with lots of rows. Now my
application needs to insert the relationship of a to b into table a_b
and is currently doing it with inserts like the following:

insert into a_b(a,b) values(1,100);
insert into a_b(a,b) values(1,200);
insert into a_b(a,b) values(1,54);
insert into a_b(a,b) values(1,4577);

So for a batch of inserts the value of a stays the same, while for by
arbitrary values are inserted. Now I have wondered if PostreSQL offers
a smarter way to insert those values? A solution can contains usage of
some plpgsql code.

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann
----> http://cubic.org/~doj

Re: optimal insert

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 23:04:02 +0200, Dirk Jagdmann <jagdmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> insert into a_b(a,b) values(1,100);
> insert into a_b(a,b) values(1,200);
> insert into a_b(a,b) values(1,54);
> insert into a_b(a,b) values(1,4577);
>
> So for a batch of inserts the value of a stays the same, while for by
> arbitrary values are inserted. Now I have wondered if PostreSQL offers
> a smarter way to insert those values? A solution can contains usage of
> some plpgsql code.

I don't think you are going to be able to save anything by 'a' being fixed
unless there is a way to compute 'b', so that you can use a select statement.

Just do the normal stuff you would when speeding up inserts. The biggest
probably being wrapping them all up in one transaction.

Re: optimal insert

От
"Aaron Bono"
Дата:
[...]

It depends on your logic.  If you can write a query that selects out the a and b records, there is a smart way:

insert into a_b(a, b)
select 1, b.id from b where b.id in (100, 200, 54, 4577);

This is not really smart because you already have the id values - the select may diminish your performance rather than help.  But if the select is "smarter" then you don't even need to know what the b.id values are:

insert into a_b(a, b)
select 1, b.id from b where b.somecolumn = 'somevalue';

Hope this helps.

   Aaron Bono
   Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
   http://www.aranya.com
   http://codeelixir.com

Re: optimal insert

От
"George Pavlov"
Дата:
And don't forget that \COPY and especially COPY are usually much faster
(and, IMHO, easier to compose/maintain) than gobs of INSERTs.

Re: optimal insert

От
"Dirk Jagdmann"
Дата:
Hello Aaron,

thank you for your suggestion. I will have to think if something
similar would be of any benefit for my data.

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann
----> http://cubic.org/~doj

Re: optimal insert

От
"Dirk Jagdmann"
Дата:
Hello George,

> And don't forget that \COPY and especially COPY are usually much faster
> (and, IMHO, easier to compose/maintain) than gobs of INSERTs.

I did not forget, but my application uses embedded SQL (with the epcg
preprocessor) and I don't think it can handle COPYs :(

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann
----> http://cubic.org/~doj

Re: optimal insert

От
Markus Schaber
Дата:
Hi, Dirk,

Dirk Jagdmann wrote:

> So for a batch of inserts the value of a stays the same, while for by
> arbitrary values are inserted. Now I have wondered if PostreSQL offers
> a smarter way to insert those values? A solution can contains usage of
> some plpgsql code.

[local]:postgres=# insert into a_b (a,b) SELECT 1,
(ARRAY[100,200,54,4577])[i] FROM generate_series(1,4) AS i;
INSERT 0 4

[local]:postgres=# select * from a_b;a |  b
---+------1 |  1001 |  2001 |   541 | 4577

But I tend to agree with others that packing a whole bunch of INSERTs
into a single transaction, and using COPY instead will give you better
benefits.

HTH,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org