Обсуждение: nested select within a DISCTINCT block

nested select within a DISCTINCT block

От
zqzuk
Дата:
Hi, here i have a problem with this task...

I have a table "cancellation" which stores cancelled bookings and details of
charges etc
and a table "bookings" which stores details of bookings, for example:

cancellation(cancellation_id, booking_id, charge)
booking(booking_id, customer_id, product_package_id, details)

in the query, i wish to find, how many customers have booked for each
product_package_id. if there were 3 bookings for product_package_id=1, and
all these are cancelled and therefore exist in cancellation, then the query
result shoud display something like

package_id,   #of bookings
1                  0

here are what i tried

select distinct b.product_package_id,
count (distinct b.customer_id and not exists (select cc from cancellation cc
where cc.booking_id=b.booking_id)) from booking as b
group by b.product_package_id

and it doesnt work. the syntax within the DISTINCT is wrong, unsurprisingly.

i also tried
select distinct b.product_package_id,
count (distinct b.customer_id not in (select cc from cancellation cc where
cc.booking_id=b.booking_id)) from booking as b
group by b.product_package_id

it produced incorrect result. ie, for those canceled bookings are also
counted, producing
package_id,   #of bookings
1                  3

which supposed to be
package_id,   #of bookings
1                  0

could anyone give any hints please, many thanks !

Sent from the PostgreSQL - sql forum at Nabble.com.

Re: nested select within a DISCTINCT block

От
Daryl Richter
Дата:
On 9/14/06 1:13 PM, "zqzuk" <ziqi.zhang@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, here i have a problem with this task...
>
> I have a table "cancellation" which stores cancelled bookings and details of
> charges etc
> and a table "bookings" which stores details of bookings, for example:
>
> cancellation(cancellation_id, booking_id, charge)
> booking(booking_id, customer_id, product_package_id, details)
>
> in the query, i wish to find, how many customers have booked for each
> product_package_id. if there were 3 bookings for product_package_id=1, and
> all these are cancelled and therefore exist in cancellation, then the query
> result shoud display something like
>
> package_id,   #of bookings
> 1                  0
>

> here are what i tried
>
> select distinct b.product_package_id,
> count (distinct b.customer_id and not exists (select cc from cancellation cc
> where cc.booking_id=b.booking_id)) from booking as b
> group by b.product_package_id
>
> and it doesnt work. the syntax within the DISTINCT is wrong, unsurprisingly.
>

> i also tried
> select distinct b.product_package_id,
> count (distinct b.customer_id not in (select cc from cancellation cc where
> cc.booking_id=b.booking_id)) from booking as b
> group by b.product_package_id
>
> it produced incorrect result. ie, for those canceled bookings are also
> counted, producing
> package_id,   #of bookings
> 1                  3
>
> which supposed to be
> package_id,   #of bookings
> 1                  0
>

> could anyone give any hints please, many thanks !

create table booking(booking_id int, customer_id int, product_package_id
int, details text);

create table cancellation(cancellation_id int , booking_id int, charge
decimal);

insert into booking values( 1, 1, 1, 'Cxl Booking 1' );
insert into booking values( 2, 2, 1, 'Cxl Booking 2' );
insert into booking values( 3, 2, 1, 'Ok Booking 3' );
insert into booking values( 4, 3, 2, 'Cxl Booking 4' );

insert into cancellation values( 1, 1, 1.00 );
insert into cancellation values( 2, 2, 1.00 );
insert into cancellation values( 3, 4, 1.00 );

select distinct product_package_id,      ( select count(booking_id)        from booking b2        where
b2.product_package_id= b1.product_package_id       and not exists ( select 1 from cancellation c where c.booking_id =
b2.booking_id ) ) as uncancelled_bookings
from booking b1
order by product_package_id;
product_package_id     uncancelled_bookings---------------------  -----------------------1                      12
               0
2 record(s) selected [Fetch MetaData: 2/ms] [Fetch Data: 0/ms]
[Executed: 9/14/06 5:56:07 PM EDT ] [Execution: 86/ms]

--
Daryl
http://itsallsemantics.com

"I¹m afraid of the easy stuffŠ its always harder than it seemsŠ"
-- Bill Hampton, 2006

Re: nested select within a DISCTINCT block

От
zqzuk
Дата:
Thanks alot!!!

Daryl Richter-2 wrote:

> [...]
>          where
>             b2.product_package_id = b1.product_package_id
>         and not exists ( select 1 from cancellation c where c.booking_id =
> b2.booking_id ) ) as uncancelled_bookings
> from booking b1
> order by product_package_id;
>
>  product_package_id     uncancelled_bookings
>  ---------------------  -----------------------
>  1                      1
>  2                      0
>
>  2 record(s) selected [Fetch MetaData: 2/ms] [Fetch Data: 0/ms]
>
>  [Executed: 9/14/06 5:56:07 PM EDT ] [Execution: 86/ms]
>

> --
> Daryl
> http://itsallsemantics.com
>
> "I¹m afraid of the easy stuffŠ its always harder than it seemsŠ"
> -- Bill Hampton, 2006

Sent from the PostgreSQL - sql forum at Nabble.com.

Re: nested select within a DISCTINCT block

Niklas Johansson
Дата:
On 14 sep 2006, at 23.58, Daryl Richter wrote:
> create table booking(booking_id int, customer_id int,
> product_package_id
> int, details text);
>
> create table cancellation(cancellation_id int , booking_id int, charge
> decimal);
>
> insert into booking values( 1, 1, 1, 'Cxl Booking 1' );
> insert into booking values( 2, 2, 1, 'Cxl Booking 2' );
> insert into booking values( 3, 2, 1, 'Ok Booking 3' );
> insert into booking values( 4, 3, 2, 'Cxl Booking 4' );
>
> insert into cancellation values( 1, 1, 1.00 );
> insert into cancellation values( 2, 2, 1.00 );
> insert into cancellation values( 3, 4, 1.00 );
>

> select distinct product_package_id,
>        ( select count(booking_id)
>          from booking b2
>          where
>             b2.product_package_id = b1.product_package_id
>         and not exists ( select 1 from cancellation c where
> c.booking_id =
> b2.booking_id ) ) as uncancelled_bookings
> from booking b1
> order by product_package_id;
>
>  product_package_id     uncancelled_bookings
>  ---------------------  -----------------------
>  1                      1
>  2                      0

Given the above, you could also phrase it a little more natural, as
follows:

SELECT product_package_id, COUNT(b.booking_id)-COUNT(c.booking_id) AS
un_cancelled_bookings
FROM booking b
LEFT JOIN cancellation c USING(booking_id)
GROUP BY product_package_id
ORDER BY product_package_id;

I don't know about the amount and distribution of data in this case,
but I think this will also give you a slightly better plan in most
cases.

Sincerely,

Niklas Johansson