Обсуждение: to count no of columns in a table

to count no of columns in a table

От
AKHILESH GUPTA
Дата:
hi all,
i just want to know one thing that is there any function in PGSQL which gives me the total number of columns in a table.
OR
just like we are using count(*), it gives us total number or rows in a table, just like i want to know the total number of columns present in the table
plz help me it's urgent
THANKS IN ADVANCE............!

--
Thanks & Regards,
Akhilesh

"FAILURES CAN BE FORGIVEN BUT AIMING LOW IS A CRIME"

Re: to count no of columns in a table

От
Juris
Дата:
Create view/storedproc on  pg_class & pg_attribute  tables

2006/2/16, AKHILESH GUPTA <akhilesh.davim@gmail.com>:
> hi all,
>  i just want to know one thing that is there any function in PGSQL which
> gives me the total number of columns in a table.
>  OR
>  just like we are using count(*), it gives us total number or rows in a
> table, just like i want to know the total number of columns present in the
> table
>  plz help me it's urgent
>  THANKS IN ADVANCE............!
>
>  --
>  Thanks & Regards,
>  Akhilesh
>  DAV Institute of Management
>  Faridabad(Haryana)-INDIA
>
>  "FAILURES CAN BE FORGIVEN BUT AIMING LOW IS A CRIME"

Re: to count no of columns in a table

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  16.02.2006, um 14:43:43 +0530 mailte AKHILESH GUPTA folgendes:
> hi all,
> i just want to know one thing that is there any function in PGSQL which
> gives me the total number of columns in a table.

select count(column_name) from information_schema.columns where table_name='foo';

HTH, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer    (Kontakt: siehe Header)
Heynitz:  035242/47215,      D1: 0160/7141639

Re: to count no of columns in a table

От
Ragnar
Дата:
On fim, 2006-02-16 at 14:43 +0530, AKHILESH GUPTA wrote:
> i just want to know one thing that is there any function in PGSQL
> which gives me the total number of columns in a table.
> OR
> just like we are using count(*), it gives us total number or rows in a
> table, just like i want to know the total number of columns present in
> the table

this is the kind of thing the information_schema is for

  select count(*) from information_schema.columns
                  where table_name='x';

gnari