Обсуждение: Changing auth type in pg_hba.conf ineffective. Why?

Changing auth type in pg_hba.conf ineffective. Why?

От
Bryce Nesbitt
Дата:
I'm struggling to resolve a login error.  It seems that I'm getting
"ident" authentication, no mater what I set pg_hba.conf to.  Here's a
log file:
 LOG:  next transaction ID: 602; next OID: 17232 LOG:  database system is ready    ... FATAL:  Ident authentication
failedfor user "bryce" LOG:  could not connect to Ident server at address "::1", port 113:

Connection refused

This makes sense, because no identd is running, and port 113 is blocked
anyway.  So I need another auth method.
My relevant pg_hba.conf lines are:
 #local   all         all                               ident sameuser #host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32
     ident sameuser #host    all         all         ::1/128               ident sameuser local   all         all
                       md5 host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32            trust host    all         all
::1/128               md5

I've renamed pg_hba.conf temporarily, just to verify that postmaster
won't start without it.  So I'm editing the right file, and restarting
postmaster correctly.  Any clues why I'm still getting 'auth' method
authentication?

Environment:
I'm using JDBC (Java Database Connection)
PostgreSQL version 8.0.3
SUSE Linux 10.0

Re: Changing auth type in pg_hba.conf ineffective. Why?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> I've renamed pg_hba.conf temporarily, just to verify that postmaster
> won't start without it.  So I'm editing the right file, and restarting
> postmaster correctly.  Any clues why I'm still getting 'auth' method
> authentication?

What message do you get if you try to connect while postmaster is down?
I'm just trying to make sure you are connecting to the postmaster you
think you are ...

Re: Changing auth type in pg_hba.conf ineffective. Why?

Дата:
Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@obviously.com> writes:
> I've renamed pg_hba.conf temporarily, just to verify that postmaster
> won't start without it.  So I'm editing the right file, and restarting
> postmaster correctly.  Any clues why I'm still getting 'auth' method
> authentication?

Well, have you checked that you're connecting to the same postmaster
you're restarting?

After that, I'd ask to see the whole pg_hba.conf and not just the part
you think is relevant ;-)

FWIW, the log message suggests that the connection is coming across
IPv6, so you need to look at the IPv6 entries in pg_hba.conf.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Changing auth type in pg_hba.conf ineffective. Why?

От
Bryce Nesbitt
Дата:
In that case I get:

***Exception:
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection refused. Check that the
hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting
TCP/IP connections

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> What message do you get if you try to connect while postmaster is down?
> I'm just trying to make sure you are connecting to the postmaster you
> think you are ...
>
>> Bryce Nesbitt:
>> I've renamed pg_hba.conf temporarily, just to verify that postmaster
>> won't start without it.  So I'm editing the right file, and restarting
>> postmaster correctly.  Any clues why I'm still getting 'auth' method
>> authentication?

Re: Changing auth type in pg_hba.conf ineffective. Why?

От
Bryce Nesbitt
Дата:
IPv6?
Really?
That new fangled thing?
That's enabled on my machine by default?
Whadda know.
That's it.
Thanks.