Обсуждение: Merging item codes using referential integrity

Merging item codes using referential integrity

От
"Andrus Moor"
Дата:
I have item table and a lot of child tables where the items are used.
I want to merge two item codes into single item in all tables.
It is not nice to write a lot of separate UPDATE statements for each table.
So I want to utilize REFERENCES clause for merging.

I tried the following code but got duplicate key error in UPDATE
statement.

Any idea how to impement this?

CREATE TABLE parent ( code CHAR(10) PRIMARY KEY  );

CREATE TABLE orders ( anyfield CHAR(10) REFERENCES parent ON UPDATE
CASCADE );
CREATE TABLE invoices ( anyotherfield CHAR(10) REFERENCES parent ON UPDATE
CASCADE );
-- ... a lot of more child tables with different table and field names
but -- always with same REFERENCES clause.

INSERT INTO parent VALUES ('1');
INSERT INTO parent VALUES ('2');
INSERT INTO orders VALUES ('1');
INSERT INTO invoices VALUES ('1');
INSERT INTO orders VALUES ('2');
INSERT INTO invoices VALUES ('2');

BEGIN;
-- Direct Postgres to update all child tables. This causes error.
UPDATE parent SET code='1' WHERE code='2';
-- Remove duplicate row
CREATE TABLE parent AS SELECT * FROM parent GROUP BY CODE ;
COMMIT;

Andrus.

Re: Merging item codes using referential integrity

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Andrus Moor wrote:
> I have item table and a lot of child tables where the items are used.
> I want to merge two item codes into single item in all tables.
> It is not nice to write a lot of separate UPDATE statements for each table.
> So I want to utilize REFERENCES clause for merging.
>
> I tried the following code but got duplicate key error in UPDATE
> statement.
>
> Any idea how to impement this?
>
> CREATE TABLE parent ( code CHAR(10) PRIMARY KEY  );

> BEGIN;
> -- Direct Postgres to update all child tables. This causes error.
> UPDATE parent SET code='1' WHERE code='2';
> -- Remove duplicate row

That's the problem - you can't have a duplicate row at *any* time with a
primary key. The UNIQUE constraint is instant and can't be deferred (at
least, not yet).

However, in this case I would simply write a function:

CREATE FUNCTION merge_all(char(10), char(10) AS '  UPDATE table_1 SET col_1=$2 WHERE col1=$1;  UPDATE table_2 SET
col_2=$2WHERE col2=$2;  ...etc...

' LANGUAGE SQL;

Then: SELECT merge_all('OLD_VAL','NEW_VAL') for each value (you could
even join to your "parent" table if all the values are in there). All
the updates in the function take place in the same transaction, so if
there are any problems then all changes will be rolled back.

--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: Merging item codes using referential integrity

От
"Andrus Moor"
Дата:
> Andrus Moor wrote:
>> I have item table and a lot of child tables where the items are used.
>> I want to merge two item codes into single item in all tables.
>> It is not nice to write a lot of separate UPDATE statements for each
>> table.
>> So I want to utilize REFERENCES clause for merging.
>>
>> I tried the following code but got duplicate key error in UPDATE
>> statement.
>>
>> Any idea how to impement this?
>>
>> CREATE TABLE parent ( code CHAR(10) PRIMARY KEY  );
>
>> BEGIN;
>> -- Direct Postgres to update all child tables. This causes error.
>> UPDATE parent SET code='1' WHERE code='2';
>> -- Remove duplicate row
>
> That's the problem - you can't have a duplicate row at *any* time with a
> primary key. The UNIQUE constraint is instant and can't be deferred (at
> least, not yet).
>
> However, in this case I would simply write a function:
>
> CREATE FUNCTION merge_all(char(10), char(10) AS '
>   UPDATE table_1 SET col_1=$2 WHERE col1=$1;
>   UPDATE table_2 SET col_2=$2 WHERE col2=$2;
>   ...etc...
> ' LANGUAGE SQL;
>
> Then: SELECT merge_all('OLD_VAL','NEW_VAL') for each value (you could even
> join to your "parent" table if all the values are in there). All the
> updates in the function take place in the same transaction, so if there
> are any problems then all changes will be rolled back.

Richard,

thank you.
Is is possible to determine table_1 , col_1  etc values automatically.
I have some hundreds of referential intgrety constraints which are changing.
So I must write and maintains hundres of additional lines of code which
duplicates existing referential integrity information.

I'm researching the following method:

Input:

Master table name $master and two its primary key values  $value1 and
$value2

Output:

1. All $value2 field values in child tables are update to $value1
2. $value2 record is deleted from $master table

Algorithm:

SELECT childtablename, childfieldname
FROM pg_referentialinfo
WHERE pg_referentialinfo.mastertable=$master
INTO CURSOR childs;

BEGIN TRANSACTION;
SCAN FOR ALL childs RECORDS; UPDATE  (childs.childtablename)  set (childs.childfieldname)=$value2      WHERE
EVAL(childs.childfieldname)=$value1;
ENDSCAN;

SELECT primarykeyfieldname
FROM pg_tables
WHERE pg_tables.tablename=$master
INTO CURSOR mfield;

DELETE FROM $master WHERE EVAL(mfield.primarykeyfieldname)=$value2;
COMMIT;

How to implement SCAN FOR ALL childs RECORDS in PostgreSQL ?

Andrus.