Обсуждение: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

От
Theodore Petrosky
Дата:
Hi,

I am starting a new project where I need to store a
lot of tiff images. So the question beckons... which
is better (not correct)?
store a blob in the database and let the db manage the
data or
store the image in a directory and store the path to
the data in the db.

What are your opinions? Is one method better than the
other or are there simply different trade offs?

If I store the tiff on the computer and only store the
path in the database it would be easier to add more
disk space to the computer without any changes to the
db. Also, there would be 'virtually' unlimited storage
space (only limited by the OS)

However, it looks like it would be easier to create a
connection to the database to access the blobs.

I would love to hear not just what others have done
but why they did it?

Thanks for listening...

BTW, I really like the zeroconf (rendezvous) support
in postgresql.

Ted

Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

От
"Andrei Bintintan"
Дата:
I suggest to store the images on the disc and write in the db only the path.
I am using the same solution. The only problem is that I have to make the
backups separately(in my case). Also this helps more in accessing the
images, you don't have to access for each image the database, you just have
to get the file path.

Think also at the dump size of the database (with blobs). (if you have 100GB
of photos..the dump will be also that big)

I never tied to put the database on 2 disks, I read somewhere that is
possible but I never tried it. In my situation I don't need this, because
the size of the DB is not quite that big. But for the photos we will use
more discs (we are not using 2 yet) and there is no difference in this case
how many discs you use, because in the DB you store only the path.

I see it this way more simple, maybe other have other opinions.

Best regards,
Andy.

> I am starting a new project where I need to store a
> lot of tiff images. So the question beckons... which
> is better (not correct)?
> store a blob in the database and let the db manage the
> data or
> store the image in a directory and store the path to
> the data in the db.
>
> What are your opinions? Is one method better than the
> other or are there simply different trade offs?
>
> If I store the tiff on the computer and only store the
> path in the database it would be easier to add more
> disk space to the computer without any changes to the
> db. Also, there would be 'virtually' unlimited storage
> space (only limited by the OS)
>
> However, it looks like it would be easier to create a
> connection to the database to access the blobs.
>
> I would love to hear not just what others have done
> but why they did it?
>
> Thanks for listening...
>
> BTW, I really like the zeroconf (rendezvous) support
> in postgresql.
>
> Ted

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

От
Theodore Petrosky
Дата:
Thanks for the reply. Are there (in your opinion)
reasons why you would choose to store the images in
the db? My feelings are that it comes down to access.

If I store the images in the db, my only access to
these images is to retrieve the image do some work on
it and reupload it. If I store the image as a file and
link to it, I can edit the image to my hearts content
by mounting the volume and opening it in an image
editor and saving. there is nothing more to do.

archiving and backups are easier also. my tape system
talks to my server and backs up the images. I believe
it would be easier to recover from a problem.

in your solution, how do you retrieve your image? do
you need to mount the volume where the images live? I
guess I am asking "If your user/client queries the db
for an image, they may want to view it? How do you
send them the data?"

I am working on a project where the IT department is
pushing really hard to have all the images in the db.
I don't know what the agenda is. I am hopeful to come
up with reasons either why this is good or not good.

Thanks,

Ted

--- Andrei Bintintan <klodoma@ar-sd.net> wrote:
> I suggest to store the images on the disc and write
> in the db only the path.
> I am using the same solution. The only problem is
> that I have to make the
> backups separately(in my case). Also this helps more
> in accessing the
> images, you don't have to access for each image the
> database, you just have
> to get the file path.
>
> Think also at the dump size of the database (with
> blobs). (if you have 100GB
> of photos..the dump will be also that big)
>
> I never tied to put the database on 2 disks, I read
> somewhere that is
> possible but I never tried it. In my situation I
> don't need this, because
> the size of the DB is not quite that big. But for
> the photos we will use
> more discs (we are not using 2 yet) and there is no
> difference in this case
> how many discs you use, because in the DB you store
> only the path.
>
> I see it this way more simple, maybe other have
> other opinions.
>
> Best regards,
> Andy.

Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 04:46:22AM -0700, Theodore Petrosky wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Are there (in your opinion)
> reasons why you would choose to store the images in
> the db?

Transactional integrity.  If there's a risk that people are
going to be deleting, &c. these images, then you can end up with
references in the database to files that don't exist, because the
filesystem operations can't be made subject to the transactions of
the database.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca

Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

От
"Andrei Bintintan"
Дата:
Now of corse it depends on the application that you are making, where you
put the files.
In my situation it is not so complicated, because we're not working on the
images, so from this point of view they are "readonly". Out clients that are
asking for photos have webaccess to a folder where we put the the photos and
we just give the right link, or they receive the photos in pdf documents.

I have the images on the same server as the database, so this is not a
problem to access them. But also if you have to make a mount on other system
I see no problem to this. Only if you will have to write the image file
back, then you will have to give write access to that file. In our situation
the image files are "web accessed" so there is NO way that we give write
access to that folder(I mean for the clients).

Now honestly the size of the DB makes me to worry at the point when you put
the images in the database. You cannot make simple dumps. I have at the
moment 12 GB of photos and the backup script for these takes quite some
time.

Now there is another risk when you put the photos on the disk... there is
the possibility that you have the link in the DB but you don't have the
photo, or the file is corrupted. This can happen.

It is up to you to decide. I don't know if there are also some performance
losses or not, but from what I can imagine to read an image from DB takes
more time as to read it from a file.

I know a lot of people that are storing the images on disk and not in the
database. If you store the images in the DB the handling becomes more
complicated. You will have always have to read the image and create a
temporary file in order to work with it. In file cases you just copy it. I
think it is more flexible the storage on the disk.

But... search the forums, or hope that somedoby else answers also.

Best regards,
Andy.

> Thanks for the reply. Are there (in your opinion)
> reasons why you would choose to store the images in
> the db? My feelings are that it comes down to access.
>
> If I store the images in the db, my only access to
> these images is to retrieve the image do some work on
> it and reupload it. If I store the image as a file and
> link to it, I can edit the image to my hearts content
> by mounting the volume and opening it in an image
> editor and saving. there is nothing more to do.
>
> archiving and backups are easier also. my tape system
> talks to my server and backs up the images. I believe
> it would be easier to recover from a problem.
>
> in your solution, how do you retrieve your image? do
> you need to mount the volume where the images live? I
> guess I am asking "If your user/client queries the db
> for an image, they may want to view it? How do you
> send them the data?"
>
> I am working on a project where the IT department is
> pushing really hard to have all the images in the db.
> I don't know what the agenda is. I am hopeful to come
> up with reasons either why this is good or not good.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ted
>
> --- Andrei Bintintan <klodoma@ar-sd.net> wrote:
> > I suggest to store the images on the disc and write
> > in the db only the path.
> > I am using the same solution. The only problem is
> > that I have to make the
> > backups separately(in my case). Also this helps more
> > in accessing the
> > images, you don't have to access for each image the
> > database, you just have
> > to get the file path.
> >
> > Think also at the dump size of the database (with
> > blobs). (if you have 100GB
> > of photos..the dump will be also that big)
> >
> > I never tied to put the database on 2 disks, I read
> > somewhere that is
> > possible but I never tried it. In my situation I
> > don't need this, because
> > the size of the DB is not quite that big. But for
> > the photos we will use
> > more discs (we are not using 2 yet) and there is no
> > difference in this case
> > how many discs you use, because in the DB you store
> > only the path.
> >
> > I see it this way more simple, maybe other have
> > other opinions.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Andy.

Jeff Boes
Дата:
In the same vein ...

We are at present using BLOBs to store images (but not very many) and generated
output (mostly HTML and XML). The data being stored doesn't require BLOB use
because of size; it's mostly the binary nature of the data.

Lack of satisfaction with the BLOB support (generally difficult to dump and
reload the database; strange problems such as OIDs exceeding 2G causing some
interface code to break; very difficult to search the BLOB for specific strings)
has led us to consider whether we might be better off with a different solution.
The one being considered is to convert the BLOBs to BYTEA fields. Does anyone
have any experience with this approach? Is there anything in upcoming versions
of Pg that would make BLOBs more useful for us?

Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

От
Denis Braekhus
Дата:

Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

От
Theodore Petrosky
Дата:
Denis,

Interesting, have you had any experience using a SAN
for the images? Do you know anyone that has
successfully used a SAN to store images that are
accessable to multiple servers?

I do not, however the last place I worked was in the
beginning stages of putting in a SAN. As it was
explained, the raid that would store the images would
be seen as 'local' to as many servers (running
different client services) as the SAN could support.

Thanks for the reply.

Ted

--- Denis Braekhus <denis@startsiden.no> wrote:

Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

От
jarednevans@yahoo.com (Jared Evans)
Дата:
I did something similar- a web application for online employer picture
directory along with dynamic graphical output of the desk locations
throughout the company (using the GD package).

I kept the pictures in a separate directory and used links in the
database.  I set up a DB trigger that took care of the respective
picture if an employer left.  It worked great and was fantastic from a
performance perspective.

The only reason I could come up with keeping images in the DB as BLOBs
is if you developed a specialized function that would do actual image
analysis on the pictures themselves.  For example, flagging certain
images after weeding out faces of terrorists in a picture of a crowd
of random people.  But what do I know, I don't work at the Department
of Homeland Security :-)

Jared