Обсуждение: double left outer join on the same table

double left outer join on the same table

От
T E Schmitz
Дата:
Hello,

I have two tables SECTION and BRAND. SECTION is related to BRAND via two
foreign keys. I would like to select ALL SECTIONs whether the FKs are
null or not and fetch the BRAND attributes in one SQL statement. In
other words I need a double outer join.

Is this possible at all?

The following doesn't work for two reasons:
a) Table name "brand" specified more than once.
b) how would I specify the same output columns twice?

SELECT
SECTION.SECTION_PK,
SECTION.SECTION_NAME,
SECTION.BRAND_1_FK,
SECTION.BRAND_2_FK,
BRAND.BRAND_PK,
BRAND.BRAND_NAME

FROM SECTION
left outer join BRAND  on BRAND_PK =BRAND_1_FK
left outer join BRAND  on BRAND_PK =BRAND_2_FK

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz

Re: double left outer join on the same table

От
Adam Witney
Дата:
On 2/5/04 5:23 pm, "T E Schmitz" <mailreg@numerixtechnology.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have two tables SECTION and BRAND. SECTION is related to BRAND via two
> foreign keys. I would like to select ALL SECTIONs whether the FKs are
> null or not and fetch the BRAND attributes in one SQL statement. In
> other words I need a double outer join.
>
> Is this possible at all?
>
> The following doesn't work for two reasons:
> a) Table name "brand" specified more than once.
> b) how would I specify the same output columns twice?
>
> SELECT
> SECTION.SECTION_PK,
> SECTION.SECTION_NAME,
> SECTION.BRAND_1_FK,
> SECTION.BRAND_2_FK,
> BRAND.BRAND_PK,
> BRAND.BRAND_NAME
>
> FROM SECTION
> left outer join BRAND  on BRAND_PK =BRAND_1_FK
> left outer join BRAND  on BRAND_PK =BRAND_2_FK

I don't know if this will solve your specific problem, but you can use the
same table twice in the same query by using aliases, something like this
(untested of course)

SELECT
SECTION.SECTION_PK,
SECTION.SECTION_NAME,
SECTION.BRAND_1_FK,
SECTION.BRAND_2_FK,
a.BRAND_PK,
a.BRAND_NAME
b.BRAND_PK,
b.BRAND_NAME

FROM SECTION
left outer join BRAND a on BRAND_PK =BRAND_1_FK
left outer join BRAND b on BRAND_PK =BRAND_2_FK

believed to be clean.

Re: double left outer join on the same table

От
T E Schmitz
Дата:
Hi Adam, this is absolute magic getting a reply within 1/2 hour and a
working solution at that!

Here's the correct syntax :

SELECT
SECTION.SECTION_PK,
SECTION.SECTION_NAME,
SECTION.BRAND_1_FK,
SECTION.BRAND_2_FK,
b1.BRAND_NAME,
b2.BRAND_NAME

FROM SECTION
left outer join BRAND  as b1 on b1.BRAND_PK =BRAND_1_FK
left outer join BRAND  as b2 on b2.BRAND_PK =BRAND_2_FK

Kind Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz