Обсуждение: data loading

data loading

От
azwa@nc.com.my
Дата:
toload data from flat file (comma delimiter format) into temporary table . i use COPY command as below:</font><br /><br
face="TimesNew Roman" size="2"><br /> dwnc-# from '/home/bios/customer_data/CustomerDO_new.CSV'</font><font face="Times
ideawhat causes the above error ???or is there any command can be used to load data as requested. tq </font>

Re: data loading

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Friday 09 January 2004 02:13, azwa@nc.com.my wrote:
> Hi,
>

>   i try to load data from flat file (comma delimiter format) into
> temporary table . i use COPY command as below:
>
> dwnc=# copy biosadm.custdo_temp
> dwnc-# from '/home/bios/customer_data/CustomerDO_new.CSV'
> dwnc-# WITH DELIMITER ',' ;
>
> ERROR:  copy: line 141, Extra data after last expected column

Does line 141 (or nearby) have a comma somewhere in its data? That would fool
the COPY into mis-counting the columns. See the COPY entry in the SQL Command
Reference chapter of the manuals - you'll want to escape any commas with a
backslash:\,

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd

Re: data loading

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Friday 09 January 2004 02:13, azwa@nc.com.my wrote:
> Hi,

Just realised this question is also posted under COPY command. Ignore me.

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd

Re: data loading

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
--- Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
> On Friday 09 January 2004 02:13, azwa@nc.com.my
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> >   i try to load data from flat file (comma
> delimiter format) into
> > temporary table . i use COPY command as below:
> >
> > dwnc=# copy biosadm.custdo_temp
> > dwnc-# from
> '/home/bios/customer_data/CustomerDO_new.CSV'
> > dwnc-# WITH DELIMITER ',' ;
> >
> > ERROR:  copy: line 141, Extra data after last
> expected column
>
> Does line 141 (or nearby) have a comma somewhere in
> its data? That would fool
> the COPY into mis-counting the columns. See the COPY
> entry in the SQL Command
> Reference chapter of the manuals - you'll want to
> escape any commas with a
> backslash:
>  \,

CSV deals with embedded commas by quoting the data
field that contains it.  Applications that are aware
of this will know to ignore commas within quoted
strings.  COPY is not smart enough to figure this out
(nor smart enough to strip off any quotes, which will
be imported as data).  If you know for a fact that
your data contains no quotes, then you can get away
with the "with delimiters ','" trick.  Otherwise, you
will need to preprocess your data through something
that will parse the CSV format, e.g. some Perl module.Note that hand rolled solutions usually underestimate
the complexity of dealing with CSV data, and why
bother when others have already solved the problem for you.