Обсуждение: Large Objects and Bytea

Large Objects and Bytea

От
"Kumar"
Дата:
Hi Friends,

I am running Postgres 7.3.4 on RH Linux 7.2.

I am migrating MS SQL DB to Postgres DB. I have tables with columns of data type 'Image' in the MS SQL database.
IF I choose 'bytea' datatype, I am afraid it may lead to poor performance of the database (which I read from the manual). In this case what is the best data type to use.

Please suggest me. The explanation of using LOB objects in a table and to write them with image is not very clear in the documentation. Can any one send me any link or white paper or examples about it.

Thanks in advance.

Kumar

Re: Large Objects and Bytea

От
sad
Дата:
Hi, Friends !

On Thursday 25 September 2003 08:11, you wrote:

> I am migrating MS SQL DB to Postgres DB. I have tables with columns of data
> type 'Image' in the MS SQL database. IF I choose 'bytea' datatype, I am
> afraid it may lead to poor performance of the database (which I read from
> the manual). In this case what is the best data type to use.

I am using TEXT fields to store images and pdfs.
There is one "feature": ZERO bytes causes interruption of input and output.
so I am translating Zeroes to '#0' and '#' to '#1' (it is similar to work with
bytea)
I am really not sure that's the best, but usefull.

BTW, i ask Developers: can you remove this "feature" of ZEROES in a TEXT ?
AFAIK the TEXT-type itself allows ANY bytes to store !
(its length representet explisitly in 4 bytes)
The "feature" obviosly grown from C strings......

Re: Large Objects and Bytea

От
elein
Дата:
In this week's General Bits, we talk about using
large objects.  Perhaps this might help you understand
what is involved with using them.

http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

cheers,

elein@varlena.com