Обсуждение: GiST and full text search

GiST and full text search

От
Wei Weng
Дата:
Hi all.

I have been doing a little research on how to do full text search under
postgresql, and GiST seems to be the way to go. But the documentation on
this is pretty lacking and I wonder if there are better sources that
describe the details on how to implement full text search with GiST.

Thanks

Wei

Re: GiST and full text search

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Monday 22 September 2003 16:02, Wei Weng wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have been doing a little research on how to do full text search under
> postgresql, and GiST seems to be the way to go. But the documentation on
> this is pretty lacking and I wonder if there are better sources that
> describe the details on how to implement full text search with GiST.

Have you looked at tsearch / tsearch2 in the contrib/ directory?

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd

Re: GiST and full text search

От
Wei Weng
Дата:
The production server uses PostgreSQL 7.3.1 right now, so I am only
looking at contrib/tsearch.

I read through the README file. It only seems to offer a way to FTS
through one 'text' column in the table. How do I create a 'txtidx' column
that combines two or even more 'text' columns in the table?

Thanks

Wei

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Richard Huxton wrote:

> On Monday 22 September 2003 16:02, Wei Weng wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I have been doing a little research on how to do full text search under
> > postgresql, and GiST seems to be the way to go. But the documentation on
> > this is pretty lacking and I wonder if there are better sources that
> > describe the details on how to implement full text search with GiST.
>
> Have you looked at tsearch / tsearch2 in the contrib/ directory?

Re: GiST and full text search

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Monday 22 September 2003 16:41, Wei Weng wrote:
> The production server uses PostgreSQL 7.3.1 right now, so I am only
> looking at contrib/tsearch.
>
> I read through the README file. It only seems to offer a way to FTS
> through one 'text' column in the table. How do I create a 'txtidx' column
> that combines two or even more 'text' columns in the table?

According to README.tsearch from 7.4beta (not tsearch2 which is the new one)

Current syntax allows creating trigger for several columns
you want to be searchable:
 create trigger txtidxupdate before update or insert on titles for each row execute procedure tsearch(titleidx, title1,
title2,...);

Perhaps see what 7.3.4's tsearch says - that should be compatible with 7.3.1
--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd

Re: GiST and full text search

От
"Andrew J. Kopciuch"
Дата:
On Monday 22 September 2003 09:41, Wei Weng wrote:
> The production server uses PostgreSQL 7.3.1 right now, so I am only
> looking at contrib/tsearch.

tsearch2 is compatible, and available for any version of PosgreSQL 7.3.  It is
not included in the contrib directory.  It is available in CVS head and will
be in 7.4 contrib AFAIK.

You can download the stable version here:

http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/tsearch-v2-stable.tar.gz

There are full installation instructions in the introdution.  See below.

> I read through the README file. It only seems to offer a way to FTS
> through one 'text' column in the table. How do I create a 'txtidx' column
> that combines two or even more 'text' columns in the table?

Read the introduction documentation.  It explains this in detail, plus many
other things you might want to know:

http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/docs/tsearch-V2-intro.html

Andy

Re: GiST and full text search

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Wei Weng wrote:

> The production server uses PostgreSQL 7.3.1 right now, so I am only
> looking at contrib/tsearch.

you may download tsearch2 for 7.3.X from
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearc/V2

> I read through the README file. It only seems to offer a way to FTS
> through one 'text' column in the table. How do I create a 'txtidx' column
> that combines two or even more 'text' columns in the table?
>
> Thanks
>
> Wei
>
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Richard Huxton wrote:
>
> > On Monday 22 September 2003 16:02, Wei Weng wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > I have been doing a little research on how to do full text search under
> > > postgresql, and GiST seems to be the way to go. But the documentation on
> > > this is pretty lacking and I wonder if there are better sources that
> > > describe the details on how to implement full text search with GiST.
> >
> > Have you looked at tsearch / tsearch2 in the contrib/ directory?

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83