Обсуждение: Insert a description while creating a table

Insert a description while creating a table

От
luiz@klais.com.br
Дата:
Hi,

I want to insert descriptions at the columns of my tables but without
using the command COMMENT ON. I want to do it together with the table
creation. Is that possible?

I wanna do something like this:

create table test (id serial 'Descripitions about ID',name varchar(50) 'Descriptions about NAME'
);

Thanks in advance

Luiz.

--
*************************
*  Luiz Fernando Pinto  *

Re: Insert a description while creating a table

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 07:56, luiz@klais.com.br wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to insert descriptions at the columns of my tables but without
> using the command COMMENT ON. I want to do it together with the table
> creation. Is that possible?
>
> I wanna do something like this:
>
> create table test (
>     id serial 'Descripitions about ID',
>     name varchar(50) 'Descriptions about NAME'
> );

Probably not going to happen in the backend.

However, you should be able to accomplish that with a little bit of Perl
to pre-process the SQL.

Re: Insert a description while creating a table

От
BenLaKnet
Дата:
Taylorwrote:<br /><blockquote cite="mid1060776408.86938.12.camel@jester" type="cite"><pre wrap="">On Wed, 2003-08-13 at
</pre><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">Hi,

I want to insert descriptions at the columns of my tables but without
using the command COMMENT ON. I want to do it together with the table
creation. Is that possible?

I wanna do something like this:

create table test (id serial 'Descripitions about ID',name varchar(50) 'Descriptions about NAME'
Probably not going to happen in the backend.

However, you should be able to accomplish that with a little bit of Perl
to pre-process the SQL. </pre></blockquote>

Re: Insert a description while creating a table

От
Christoph Haller
Дата:
> > I want to insert descriptions at the columns of my tables but
without
> > using the command COMMENT ON. I want to do it together with the
table
> > creation. Is that possible?
> >
> > I wanna do something like this:
> >
> > create table test (
> >     id serial 'Descripitions about ID',
> >     name varchar(50) 'Descriptions about NAME'
> > );
>
> Probably not going to happen in the backend.
>
> However, you should be able to accomplish that with a little bit of
Perl
> to pre-process the SQL.

That perl script comes to my mind too.
The reason why Luiz doesn't like it, may be because you can't
see these descriptions within psql using \dd test

I did
the create table, then
COMMENT ON COLUMN test.id is 'Descripitions about ID';
COMMENT ON COLUMN test.name is 'Descriptions about NAME';
\dd test shows
        Object descriptionsSchema | Name | Object | Description
--------+------+--------+-------------
(0 rows)

This is odd. OK, I know the doc says
\dd [ pattern ]
   Shows the descriptions of objects matching the pattern, or of all
visible objects if no argument is given. But in either case,   only objects that have a description are listed.
("Object"covers

aggregates, functions, operators, types, relations (tables, views,   indexes, sequences, large objects), rules, and
triggers.)For

example:

Nothing about columns.
But what is the purpose of comments on columns if you can only get them
via
select * from pg_description whereobjoid = (select typrelid from pg_type where typname='test')order by objsubid ;objoid
|classoid | objsubid |       description

--------+----------+----------+------------------------- 17326 |     1259 |        1 | Descripitions about ID 17326 |
 1259 |        2 | Descriptions about NAME

(2 rows)

which you'll have to find out on your own.

Regards, Christoph

Re: Insert a description while creating a table

От
luiz@klais.com.br
Дата:
Hi Christoph,

I'm thinking that the best solution is create a script in perl or
python that executes de COMMENT command to me. My initial idea would be
comment my columns in a standard way and then run the script.

My comment that will turn into description will start with
"/*$" instead of the simple "/*", for instance.

Regards,

Luiz.

--
*************************
*  Luiz Fernando Pinto  *

Re: Insert a description while creating a table

От
Reinoud van Leeuwen
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 02:54:59PM +0200, Christoph Haller wrote:
> \dd test shows
>
>          Object descriptions
>  Schema | Name | Object | Description
> --------+------+--------+-------------
> (0 rows)
>
> This is odd. OK, I know the doc says
> \dd [ pattern ]
>
>     Shows the descriptions of objects matching the pattern, or of all
> visible objects if no argument is given. But in either case,
>     only objects that have a description are listed. ("Object" covers
> aggregates, functions, operators, types, relations (tables, views,
>     indexes, sequences, large objects), rules, and triggers.) For
> example:
>
> Nothing about columns.
> But what is the purpose of comments on columns if you can only get them
> via
> select * from pg_description where

Have you tried \d+ tablename? (sorry for the long lines ";-)

drbob=# \dd object                           Object descriptionsSchema |  Name  | Object |
Description
--------+--------+--------+-------------------------------------------------public | object | table  | The table that
holdsall instances of objects.

(1 row)

drbob=# \d+ object

Table "public.object"     Column      |            Type             |
Modifiers                   |
Description

------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------id
             | integer                     | not null default

nextval('shared_ids'::text) | (global) unique ID for this tableobject_def_id    | integer                     | not
null

| foreign key to object_def.idname             | character varying(60)       |

| natural name of this objectsuperobject_id   | integer                     |

| foreign key to object.id. This field is only filled in when the this
object is a subobject of another object (EG a port in a router)subobject_def_id | integer                     |

| foreign key to subobject_def.id. This field is only filled in when this
object is a subobject of another object (EG a port in a router)has_subobject    | boolean                     | not
nulldefault 'FALSE'

| boolean indicating that this object instance has subobjects (EG router
that has ports)date_added       | timestamp without time zone |
| date this record was added to the databaseuser_added       | character varying(20)       |

| username that added this record to the databasedate_changed     | timestamp without time zone |

| date this record was last changeduser_changed     | character varying(20)       |

| username that made the last change to this record
Indexes: pk_object primary key btree (id),        object_pk unique btree (id),        object_object_def_fk btree
(object_def_id),       object_object_fk btree (superobject_id),        object_subobject_def_fk btree
(subobject_def_id)
Triggers: tdb_object,         tiua_object,         tiub_object
"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen    reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net
http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud

Re: Insert a description while creating a table

От
Christoph Haller
Дата:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 02:54:59PM +0200, Christoph Haller wrote:
> > \dd test shows
> >
> >          Object descriptions
> >  Schema | Name | Object | Description
> > --------+------+--------+-------------
> > (0 rows)
> >
> > This is odd. OK, I know the doc says
> > \dd [ pattern ]
> >
> >     Shows the descriptions of objects matching the pattern, or of
all
> > visible objects if no argument is given. But in either case,
> >     only objects that have a description are listed. ("Object"
covers
> > aggregates, functions, operators, types, relations (tables, views,
> >     indexes, sequences, large objects), rules, and triggers.) For
> > example:
> >
> > Nothing about columns.
> > But what is the purpose of comments on columns if you can only get
them
> > via
> > select * from pg_description where
>
> Have you tried \d+ tablename? (sorry for the long lines ";-)

I apologize for complaining, missed that completely.
Thanks to Reinoud for pointing this out.

Regards, Christoph

Re: Insert a description while creating a table

От
Benoît Bournon
Дата:
<pre wrap="">comment on table "test"
is 'fziofeiozfiezojfezjfeziojfeziojf ezfjioezifj ezio' ;