Обсуждение: trigger proceedures in sql

trigger proceedures in sql

От
"adivi"
Дата:
hi,

      can trigger proceedures ( procedures to be executed from within a trigger )
        not be written in sql.

      i was looking for examples and can find proceedures in 'c' only.

regards
-adivi

Re: trigger proceedures in sql

От
"David Witham"
Дата:
Hi Adivi,

You can use PL/PgSQL functions with triggers. See chapter 19 of the programmers reference:

regards,
David
-----Original Message-----
From: adivi [mailto:adivi@maximizelearning.com]
Sent: Thursday, 10 July 2003 15:40
To: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: [SQL] trigger proceedures in sql

hi,

      can trigger proceedures ( procedures to be executed from within a trigger )
        not be written in sql.

      i was looking for examples and can find proceedures in 'c' only.

regards
-adivi

Re: trigger proceedures in sql

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Thursday 10 Jul 2003 6:40 am, adivi wrote:
> hi,
>
>       can trigger proceedures ( procedures to be executed from within a
> trigger ) not be written in sql.
>
>       i was looking for examples and can find proceedures in 'c' only.

AFAIK you can't use "sql", but you can use "plpgsql". There is an example of a
trigger function in the docs (chapter "Procedural Languages"). Also check out
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ - there are examples in some of the docs
there.

--  Richard Huxton

Re: trigger proceedures in sql

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, adivi wrote:

> hi,
>
>       can trigger proceedures ( procedures to be executed from within a trigger )
>         not be written in sql.
>
>       i was looking for examples and can find proceedures in 'c' only.

they can be written in pl/pgsql for sure, as I've written a few. :-)

Here's the section in the developer docs on triggers in plpgsql:

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/plpgsql-trigger.html

Re: trigger proceedures in sql

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, adivi wrote:

>       can trigger proceedures ( procedures to be executed from within a trigger )
>         not be written in sql.

AFAICT, no, sql functions cannot return opaque/trigger.  However you can
write trigger functions in most/all of the pl languages (plpgsql, pltcl,
etc...)  I think the trigger examples for plpgsql are in plpgsql's
documentation.

Re: trigger proceedures in sql

От
Jonathan Gardner
Дата:

Re: trigger proceedures in sql

От
Rajesh Kumar Mallah

Yes of course!
contrib/dbmirror does execute a procedure written in 'C'
called recordchange()  ON update , insert , delete.
If you need help in getting its source lemme know.

regds
Mallah.

On Thursday 10 Jul 2003 11:10 am, adivi wrote:
> hi,
>
>       can trigger proceedures ( procedures to be executed from within a
> trigger ) not be written in sql.
>
>       i was looking for examples and can find proceedures in 'c' only.
>
> regards
> -adivi

Re: trigger proceedures in sql

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:

> Yes of course!
> contrib/dbmirror does execute a procedure written in 'C'
> called recordchange()  ON update , insert , delete.
> If you need help in getting its source lemme know.
>
> regds
> Mallah.
>
> On Thursday 10 Jul 2003 11:10 am, adivi wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>>       can trigger proceedures ( procedures to be executed from within a
>> trigger ) not be written in sql.
>>
>>       i was looking for examples and can find proceedures in 'c' only.

Trigger procedures can also be written in many procedural languages like
PL/Perl, PL/Tcl and PL/pgSQL (what you should be looking at closer).
Examples for PL/pgSQL can be found in the regression test.

Jan