Обсуждение: A problem about alter table

A problem about alter table

От
"jack"
Дата:
Hi, all
I'm using postgreSQL 7.2.3. The following statement always cuases a parser
error, "parse error at or near NOT". Please adivse, thank you in advance.

ALTER TABLE _acct_group1   ALTER groupkey  SET NOT NULL;

Jack

Re: A problem about alter table

От
Tomasz Myrta
jack wrote:

> Hi, all
> I'm using postgreSQL 7.2.3. The following statement always cuases a parser
> error, "parse error at or near NOT". Please adivse, thank you in advance.
>
> ALTER TABLE _acct_group1
>     ALTER groupkey  SET NOT NULL;
>
> Jack
>From Postgres 7.2 documentation:

"In the current implementation of ADD COLUMN, default and NOT NULL
clauses for the new column are not supported. You can use the SET
DEFAULT form of ALTER TABLE to set the default later. (You may also want
to update the already existing rows to the new default value, using
UPDATE.)"

There is nothing about setting not null fields.
I think you have to create trigger instead of altering table.

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

Re: A problem about alter table

От
"jack"
Дата:
But on postgreSQL 7.2 reference manual, there is a statement for alter table
such as, ALTER TABLE [ ONLY ] table [ * ]   ALTER [ COLUMN ] column { SET | DROP } NOT NULL

Do you mean  this one hasn't been implemented?

Jack

jack wrote:

> But on postgreSQL 7.2 reference manual, there is a statement for alter
> table
> such as, ALTER TABLE [ ONLY ] table [ * ]
>     ALTER [ COLUMN ] column { SET | DROP } NOT NULL
>
> Do you mean  this one hasn't been implemented?
>
> Jack

Strange. I don't have such ALTER TABLE in my 7.2 documentation. There is
only ALTER... SET | DROP DEFAULT.

Tomasz

Re: A problem about alter table

От
Achilleus Mantzios
Дата:
On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, jack wrote:

> But on postgreSQL 7.2 reference manual, there is a statement for alter table
> such as, ALTER TABLE [ ONLY ] table [ * ]
>     ALTER [ COLUMN ] column { SET | DROP } NOT NULL
>
> Do you mean  this one hasn't been implemented?
>
> Jack

This syntax is valid in 7.3 (not 7.2)

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
Nikis 4, Glyfada
Athens 16610
Greece
tel:    +30-10-8981112
fax:    +30-10-8981877
email:  achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com       mantzios@softlab.ece.ntua.gr

Re: A problem about alter table

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
--- jack <datactrl@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Hi, all
> I'm using postgreSQL 7.2.3. The following statement
> always cuases a parser
> error, "parse error at or near NOT". Please adivse,
> thank you in advance.
>
> ALTER TABLE _acct_group1
>     ALTER groupkey  SET NOT NULL;
I believe you will need to use:

ALTER TABLE _acct_group1 ADD CONSTRAINT <constraint
name> CHECK groupkey NOT NULL;

I haven't checked that syntax for correctness, but
it's covered in the docs on ALTER TABLE.