Обсуждение: execute a query in an other db

execute a query in an other db

От
"LR"
Дата:
Hi,

When I'm connected to a postgreSQL db ( e.g. myDB ), how could I execute
"select * from myTable;" in an other db (e.g. myOtherDB).

In other words, what is the postgreSQL equivalent of the MS SQL Server
statement "USE myOtherDB SELECT * FROM myTable" ?

Thanks
Lilian

Re: execute a query in an other db

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 17:51:40 +0100, LR <lr-NOSPAM-@sib.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I'm connected to a postgreSQL db ( e.g. myDB ), how could I execute
> "select * from myTable;" in an other db (e.g. myOtherDB).
>
> In other words, what is the postgreSQL equivalent of the MS SQL Server
> statement "USE myOtherDB SELECT * FROM myTable" ?

Stock postgresql doesn't support cross database queries.
There is a contrib package which does.

In the example you gave, you were combining information from two databases.
If it is the case that your application will be combining data from the
two databases, then you can open a separate connection to each database
and use the appropiate connection for your queries.

Re: execute a query in an other db

От
"LR"
Дата:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When I'm connected to a postgreSQL db ( e.g. myDB ), how could I execute
> > "select * from myTable;" in an other db (e.g. myOtherDB).
> >
> > In other words, what is the postgreSQL equivalent of the MS SQL Server
> > statement "USE myOtherDB SELECT * FROM myTable" ?
>
> Stock postgresql doesn't support cross database queries.
> There is a contrib package which does.
>
> In the example you gave, you were combining information from two
databases.
> If it is the case that your application will be combining data from the
> two databases, then you can open a separate connection to each database
> and use the appropiate connection for your queries.

Thank you for your answer.
Do you know the name of this package ?
Thx
Lilian

Re: execute a query in an other db

От
Joe Conway
LR wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.
> Do you know the name of this package ?
> Thx
> Lilian

see contrib/dblink.

I'd highly recommend using 7.3 (finishing beta, soon to be a release
candidate) if you can. It is much better than the one in 7.2 and the syntax
has changed some.

Joe