Обсуждение: recursive function returning "setof"

recursive function returning "setof"

От
Fritz Lehmann-Grube
Дата:
Hello all,

I'd like to create a recursive function returning a "setof".

See the following situation:

CREATE TABLE sections(       is serial,       data text,       contained_in int NOT NULL REFERENCES sections(id)
DEFERRABLE
);

INSERT INTO sections
VALUES(0,'ROOTSECTION',0)

I have triggers, that prevent loops and so on, so these "sections" form a tree.
Now I want - for a given section - to define a function, that finds the *SETOF*
all "ancestor"sections up to the "ROOTSECTION". That would need something
recursive.

The problem is:
A SQL-Function cannot be recursive because it cannot call itself, and it can
perform no loops.
A PLPGSQL-Function cannot return sets.

I know I can do it using a temporary table, but I don't like that for various
reasons:
- I don't want complicated handling of the temp table's name in case of
simultaneous calls
- The webserver, that operates on the DB shouldn't have "CREATE TABLE" "DROP
TABLE" or "DELETE" permissions
- It's not the natural, at least no "clean" solution

Yes - I thought about returning a refcursor, but it seemed not to help. A cursor
can only reference one static query.

I've been reading the manuals for quite a time now - no way! but I'm sure I
can't be the first one with that kind of a problem, so ...?

Greetings Fritz

Re: recursive function returning "setof"

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
> The problem is:
> A SQL-Function cannot be recursive because it cannot call itself, and it
can
> perform no loops.
> A PLPGSQL-Function cannot return sets.

It can perform loops.  Check the manual- you can do FOR and WHILE loops.
7.3 will be able to return sets from PLPGSQL funcs it seems.

Chris

Re: recursive function returning "setof"

От
Fritz Lehmann-Grube
Дата:
Thanx Chris,

but I can't find it.
My Programmer's Guide (.../pgsql/doc/html/xfunc-sql.html) says
  "12.2. Query Language (SQL) Functions   SQL functions execute an arbitrary list of SQL statements,"

Nothing about control structures in SQL functions additional to the normal
command-line syntax. Where can I find it ?

and (.../pgsql/doc/html/plpgsql.html#PLPGSQL-ADVANTAGES)
  "23.1.1.1. Better Performance  SQL is the language PostgreSQL (and most other Relational Databases) use as
querylanguage. It's portable and easy to learn. But every SQL statement

must be   executed individually by the database server.

That means that your client application must send each query to the database
server, wait for it to process it, receive the results, do some computation,
then send other queries to the server."

Isn't it just the thing in plpgsql to add control structures to SQL ?

Fritz

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>>The problem is:
>>A SQL-Function cannot be recursive because it cannot call itself, and it
>
> can
>
>>perform no loops.
>>A PLPGSQL-Function cannot return sets.
>

> It can perform loops.  Check the manual- you can do FOR and WHILE loops.
> 7.3 will be able to return sets from PLPGSQL funcs it seems.
>
> Chris

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: recursive function returning "setof"

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
http://www3.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/plpgsql-control