Обсуждение: Please Help me

Please Help me

От
"Waheed Rahuman"
Дата:
Dear all
Please suggest me which database i can choose for my server setup like

1. Manrake Linux
2. ColdFusion
3. Apache Webserver

Now i dont know which database to choose
Whether MySQL or PostgreSQL
Please suggest me a.
Thank you
Expecting your reply
Regards
Waheed Rahuman

Re: Please Help me

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
I have no experience with ColdFusion, but if you ask a question like whether MySQL or Postgres is better on a Postgres mailing list - we're going to say Postgres.

Postgres is in many, many ways vastly superior to MySQL.  However, if you are a newbie or are doing this on Win32 platform, you may still choose to use MySQL.

Postgres has these things that MySQL doesn't:

* SQL compatible date & time handling
* subselects
* stored procedures
* proper foreign keys
* proper transactions
* custom types, aggregates, operators and functions
* 4 procedural languages
* ...and much, much more...

You haven't provided us with very much information, however...

Chris
Please suggest me which database i can choose for my server setup like

1. Manrake Linux
2. ColdFusion
3. Apache Webserver

Now i dont know which database to choose
Whether MySQL or PostgreSQL
Please suggest me a.
Thank you
Expecting your reply
Regards
Waheed Rahuman

Re: Please Help me

От
Michelle Murrain
Дата:
color="#0000FF"face="Arial" size="-1">I have no experience with ColdFusion, but if you ask a question like whether
/></div><div>Yeah,except I do have experience with ColdFusion, and ColdFusion runs into some very problematic issues
withPostgres, sadly. Although I use Postgres almost exclusively, I had to switch to MySQL for use with
ColdFusion.</div><pre>--

AIM:pearlbear0Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575</div>

Re: Please Help me

От
"Chad Thompson"
Дата:
I am running RedHat, with Apache and Cold Fusion.  I chose PostgreSQL for all of the aforementioned reasons.  It works very well with Cold Fusion.  I have done some optimizing and am able to run rather complex queries much faster than I ever was able to on any Windows platform database.  I had to bail on MySQL because it wouldnt run the sub-queries that i needed.

Thanks
Chad
Please suggest me which database i can choose for my server setup like

1. Manrake Linux
2. ColdFusion
3. Apache Webserver

Now i dont know which database to choose
Whether MySQL or PostgreSQL
Please suggest me a.
Thank you
Expecting your reply
Regards
Waheed Rahuman

Re: Please Help me

От
Michelle Murrain
Дата:
size="-1">Iam running RedHat, with Apache and Cold Fusion.  I chose PostgreSQL for all of the aforementioned reasons.
Itworks very well with Cold Fusion.  I have done some optimizing and am able to run rather complex queries much faster
thanI ever was able to on any Windows platform database.  I had to bail on MySQL because it wouldnt run the sub-queries
thisproblem, and was unable to solve it. We'd get an error if we wanted to add more than, I think 200 or so characters.
Ithad to do with the connection between postgres and Cold Fusion.</div><pre>--

AIM:pearlbear0Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575</div>

Re: Please Help me

От
"Chad Thompson"
Дата:
Unfortunatly i know of no such problem.  I have large text fields being submited to my database, but i restrict the submit page to 255 chars.  I will have to test larger numbers and see what errors i get.

Thanks
Chad