Обсуждение: Editor for pgsql

Editor for pgsql

От
Elielson Fontanezi
Дата:
Hello Folks!

    Maybe every DBA knows that there is a good shareware to editing
Oracle PL/SQL programs
named PL/SQL Developer.
    I'd like to know if someone knows something near to this software
for Postgres pgSQL.

    Thanks!

Elielson,

Re: Editor for pgsql

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Elielson,

>  Maybe every DBA knows that there is a good shareware to editing
> Oracle PL/SQL programs
> named PL/SQL Developer.
>  I'd like to know if someone knows something near to this software
> for Postgres pgSQL.

No such program, currently.

PGAccess, slated for re-release with a overhaul and new version in
September, will have somewhat enhanced Function Editing ability. However, nothing on the scale of PL/SQL Developer.

Me, I use Kate, an MDI text editor from the KDE crew, and CVS for
version control.   Thanks, KDE guys!    But, after 3 years of Postgres,
I'm pretty fluent in PL/pgSQL.  I even double-quote without thinking
about it.

You might want to send an e-mail to ActiveState suggesting that they
could take on SQL script dialects (SQL, T-SQL, PL/SQL, PL/pgSQL and
4GL) as a new ActiveState IDE.   Make sure they know you're willing to
pay for development software.

-Josh Berkus

Re: Editor for pgsql

От
James Orr
Дата:
On Monday 22 July 2002 12:27 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Me, I use Kate, an MDI text editor from the KDE crew, and CVS for
> version control.   Thanks, KDE guys!    But, after 3 years of Postgres,
> I'm pretty fluent in PL/pgSQL.  I even double-quote without thinking
> about it.

How do you use CVS on your database?  I recently started doing this, and i'm
wondering how other people handle it.

Basically I create a sql folder with three sub-folders tables, views and
functions. I have a file for each table in tables, each view in views and for
each trigger and/or function in functions.

For the actual editing? I'm a vi fan myself :).  If i'm using the graphical
vim I can even do CVS operations with a custom menu.

- James

Re: Editor for pgsql

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
James,

> How do you use CVS on your database?  I recently started doing this, and i'm
> wondering how other people handle it.
>
> Basically I create a sql folder with three sub-folders tables, views and
> functions. I have a file for each table in tables, each view in views and
for
> each trigger and/or function in functions.

Similar.  I bundle my development scripts into related areas with a tabledef
and a couple of views or functions in each script, but otherwise I do the
same as you.

As for VIM, as an ex-Win32 developer with an art degree, I never mastered the
syntax of VI (or Emacs, for that matter).   They're certainly powerful tools,
but I can never set aside the 2 weeks of downtime required to get up to speed
in either text editor.

So Kate and Joe are my friends.    <grin>

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Editor for pgsql

От
Marc Spitzer
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 04:09:21PM -0400, James Orr wrote:
> On Monday 22 July 2002 12:27 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Me, I use Kate, an MDI text editor from the KDE crew, and CVS for
> > version control.   Thanks, KDE guys!    But, after 3 years of Postgres,
> > I'm pretty fluent in PL/pgSQL.  I even double-quote without thinking
> > about it.
>
> How do you use CVS on your database?  I recently started doing this, and i'm
> wondering how other people handle it.
>
> Basically I create a sql folder with three sub-folders tables, views
> and functions. I have a file for each table in tables, each view in
> views and for each trigger and/or function in functions.
>
> For the actual editing? I'm a vi fan myself :).  If i'm using the graphical
> vim I can even do CVS operations with a custom menu.
>
> - James

James,

That sounds very ugly, I will usually have 1-4 files per db.  Either
everything goes into 1 file, drops at the front then creates.  Or
2 files, 1 for ddl( create/drop table) and another for plpgsql procedures
and triggers.  Sometimes I will split each of those into a create and drop
file.  But that is about as complex as I want it to get.

marc

Re: Editor for pgsql

От
Roberto Mello
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 09:36:54AM -0300, Elielson Fontanezi wrote:
> Hello Folks!
>

>     Maybe every DBA knows that there is a good shareware to editing
> Oracle PL/SQL programs
> named PL/SQL Developer.
>     I'd like to know if someone knows something near to this software
> for Postgres pgSQL.

Tora (tora.sf.net) has PL/SQL editing and supports PostgreSQL. Since
Pl/pgSQL is very similar to PL/SQL, you can use Tora for PL/pgSQL editing
very nicely.

Tora is an overall very nice database administration tool. I use it with
my Oracle and PostgreSQL installations all the time.

-Roberto

--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu/ USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+
  Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU - http://www.brasileiro.net/

Re: Editor for pgsql

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Roberto,

> Tora (tora.sf.net) has PL/SQL editing and supports PostgreSQL. Since
> Pl/pgSQL is very similar to PL/SQL, you can use Tora for PL/pgSQL editing
> very nicely.
>
> Tora is an overall very nice database administration tool. I use it with
> my Oracle and PostgreSQL installations all the time.

I tried to install Tora, but the build blew up since I don't have Oracle
installed.  Any tips?

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Editor for pgsql

От
Roberto Mello
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 05:41:39PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> I tried to install Tora, but the build blew up since I don't have Oracle
> installed.  Any tips?

I just use the Debian packages (/me hugs Debian).

AFAIK, all you have to do is compile with the appropriate flags so it
doesn't try to build Oracle support (you need a full Oracle installation),
and also MySQL support.

You also need to have the PostgreSQL loadable Qt 3 module installed before
compiling, plus Qt 3 headers and such.

You could try downloading the binary Debian packages from
packages.debian.org ("unstable" distribution) and unpacking them (Debian
packages are just "ar" packages with extra headers).

-Roberto

--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu/ USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+ Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU -
http://www.brasileiro.net/      http://www.sdl.usu.edu/ - Space Dynamics Lab, Developer

Cannot open CATFOOD.CAN - Eat logitech mouse instead (Y/n)?

Re: Editor for pgsql

От
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Дата:
On Tuesday 23 July 2002 07:45, Roberto Mello wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 05:41:39PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I tried to install Tora, but the build blew up since I don't have Oracle
> > installed.  Any tips?
>
> I just use the Debian packages (/me hugs Debian).
>
> AFAIK, all you have to do is compile with the appropriate flags so it
> doesn't try to build Oracle support (you need a full Oracle installation),
> and also MySQL support.
>
> You also need to have the PostgreSQL loadable Qt 3 module installed before
> compiling, plus Qt 3 headers and such.
>
> You could try downloading the binary Debian packages from
> packages.debian.org ("unstable" distribution) and unpacking them (Debian
> packages are just "ar" packages with extra headers).

I just compiled the latest version(tora-1.3.6.1) right now(on Mandrake-8.1
with KDE-3.0.2 ant qt-3.0.4) with the following options to configure:

./configure --without-oracle --without-kde
make
su -c "make install"

This compiles and installes just fine to /usr/local/bin with PostgreSQL
support.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh (Senior Software Developer) <andreak@officenet.no>
- There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that can do binary arithmetic and those that can't.

Re: Editor for pgsql

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Folks,

> This compiles and installes just fine to /usr/local/bin with
> PostgreSQL
> support.

Thanks, I'll try it.

-Josh Berkus