Обсуждение: PLPGSQL language documentation

PLPGSQL language documentation

От
"Sandy Ear"
Дата:
I was wondering if anyone knew of good online documentation on PlPgsql?

Re: PLPGSQL language documentation

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Sandy,

> I was wondering if anyone knew of good online documentation on PlPgsql?

Read two things:

1. the online docs for PostgreSQL 7.2 under "Programmer's guide: Procedural
Languages"

2. Roberto' Mello's enhanced documentation, accessable through
techdocs.postgresql.org.  Roberto also has a PLpgSQL function library that
should give you some good examples.  However, this is entirely for Postgres
7.0 and 7.1, so there are some syntax changes in the current versions --
mostly workarounds that are no longer necessary.

Also, I found the first 4 chapters of O'reilly's book on PL/SQL programming to
be invaluable in helping me develop an organized approach toward manageing a
database using functions.  However, the rest of the book is Oracle stuff not
supported by Postgres, so you decide if it's worth the $50.

--
-Josh Berkus

______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology     josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293  for law firms, small
businesses     fax 621-2533   and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco

Re: PLPGSQL language documentation

От
Bradley Kieser
Дата:
Hear hear!
We have been looking for it as well!
We have avoided using triggers to date because we do not know how to
program in the language!

Sandy Ear wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knew of good online documentation on PlPgsql?

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: PLPGSQL language documentation

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
I'll second the suggestion about looking at Oracle
PL/SQL materials.  I used an introductory PL/SQL text
when learning about PLpgSQL, and found it very useful.
The syntax/functionality is highly similar (by design,
apparently).  Much of the Oracle PL/SQL functionality
is not (yet) implemented in PLpgSQL however, so better
to avoid detailed Oracle texts.  Skip over the stuff
about explicit cursors and exception handlers.