Обсуждение: Selecting data from a table created in another database...

Selecting data from a table created in another database...

От
"Ligia Pimentel"
Дата:
I don't know if this can be done...

In MSSQL Server I can access a table created in another database (on the
same server, of course) by using the following syntaxis...

select * from databasename..tablename where condition;

Can I do this in postgres?

I'm using version 7.2 on a redhat server...

Thank you for your help...

Ligia

Re: Selecting data from a table created in another database...

Дата:
Ligia Pimentel wrote:
> I don't know if this can be done...
>
> In MSSQL Server I can access a table created in another database (on the
> same server, of course) by using the following syntaxis...
>
> select * from databasename..tablename where condition;
>
> Can I do this in postgres?
>
> I'm using version 7.2 on a redhat server...

Sorry, you can't do cross-db queries with PostgreSQL.  Take a look at
/contrib/dblink as an option.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Selecting data from a table created in another database...

От
Rudi Starcevic
Дата:
Hi Ligia,

When I need to do this I use a scripting language like PHP, Perl or
ColdFusion to
select from one db and insert into another.
As a matter of fact I had to do this exercise just yesturday.
I like it as I find I have much more freedom to gather data, organise it
then insert it.
It's easy to view the output of your selects on the screen and when
happy do the insert(s).

Hope this helps.
Regards
Rudi Starcevic.

Ligia Pimentel wrote:

>I don't know if this can be done...
>
>In MSSQL Server I can access a table created in another database (on the
>same server, of course) by using the following syntaxis...
>
>select * from databasename..tablename where condition;
>
>Can I do this in postgres?
>
>I'm using version 7.2 on a redhat server...
>
>Thank you for your help...
>
>Ligia

>http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Selecting data from a table created in another database...

От
Chantal Ackermann
Дата:
hi Ligia,

there was a posting to this list some time ago, about the same question.
I just found it as I had the same question as you:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/1998-05/msg00091.php

(in short: it is not possible in Postgres)

the mail is from 1998, but I just tried to make a select using
mydatabase.mytable as table name in a select statement and this does not
work.

Chantal

Re: Selecting data from a table created in another database...

От
"Ligia Pimentel"
Дата:
Thanks.