Обсуждение: what is the difference between default 0 vs default '0'

what is the difference between default 0 vs default '0'

От
"Beth Gatewood"
Дата:
all-
Could somebody tell me why I would use default 0 vs default '0' in the
following....
CREATE TABLE foo (col1 INTEGER default 0) <-- or default '0'

Thanks-
Beth

Re: what is the difference between default 0 vs default '0'

От
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Дата:
Hi Beth,

I wouldn't have thought there'd be any difference to you, the user.

If you used 0, then that is an integer and that will be the default.  If you
used '0' then that is a character or string and it will automatically be
cast into an integer when used as a default.

Chris

> Could somebody tell me why I would use default 0 vs default '0' in the
> following....
> CREATE TABLE foo (col1 INTEGER default 0) <-- or default '0'
>
> Thanks-
> Beth

Re: what is the difference between default 0 vs default '0'

От
Lee Harr
Дата:
In article <000c01c21cab$c2f35ef0$6901a8c0@bethvizx>, "Beth Gatewood" wrote:
> all-
> Could somebody tell me why I would use default 0 vs default '0' in the
> following....
> CREATE TABLE foo (col1 INTEGER default 0) <-- or default '0'

0 is an integer
'0' is a string

default '0' might work (through type coercion)
but I think default 0 is more clear.