Обсуждение: nested inner join help

nested inner join help

От
"Darryl M. Wolski"
Дата:
I  have a query which works perfectly fine in mysql but won't
work in the same database in postgres...

Can anyone take a look at this and tell me what the problem is?

I get a parser error at (.

SELECT orderlines.quantity, products.productname, products.productcost, customers.custlname,customers.custfname
FROM (((orders INNER JOIN orderlines ON orders.orderid = orderlines.lnkorderid)  INNER JOIN customers ON (customers.custid = orders.lnkcustid)) INNER JOIN products ON (products.productid = orderlines.lnkproductid))
WHERE (((orders.orderid)=2));
It seems as soon as I try to nest an INNER JOIN I get these parser errors. I have tried this query a few different ways, and still cant get it to work.

Thank you so much!!

Darryl Wolski

Re: nested inner join help

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Darryl,

In Postgres, neither the parentheses nor the word "INNER" are required.  Youwill significantly simplify your life if
youget rid of them, and clean upyour presentation of SQL text in order to debug your own joins.

One significant MSAccess <==> Postgres conflict is that Postgres assumes thatparens in the FROM clause represent
subselects(I think), while MS Access usesparens to organize JOINs.  Postgres behavior is, of course, more
SQL92correct.

SELECT orderlines.quantity, products.productname, products.productcost,customers.custlname,customers.custfname
FROM orders JOIN orderlines ON orders.orderid = orderlines.lnkorderid   JOIN customers ON customers.custid =
orders.lnkcustid  JOIN products ON products.productid = orderlines.lnkproductid

WHERE orders.orderid=2;

-Josh Berkus

Re: nested inner join help

Дата:
"Darryl M. Wolski" <drwolski@sympatico.ca> writes:
> Can anyone take a look at this and tell me what the problem is?

> I get a parser error at (.

> SELECT orderlines.quantity, products.productname, products.productcost, cus=
> tomers.custlname,customers.custfname
> FROM (((orders INNER JOIN orderlines ON orders.orderid =3D orderlines.lnkor=
> derid)  INNER JOIN customers ON (customers.custid =3D orders.lnkcustid)) IN=
> NER JOIN products ON (products.productid =3D orderlines.lnkproductid))
> WHERE (((orders.orderid)=3D2));

Looks fine to me.  Are you using an old Postgres version?  We didn't
support JOIN keywords until 7.1.
        regards, tom lane

Re: nested inner join help

Дата:
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> One significant MSAccess <==> Postgres conflict is that Postgres assumes that
>  parens in the FROM clause represent subselects (I think),

Huh?  Parenthesizing JOINs is perfectly valid, and I think it's good
style too in complex cases.  See the nearby "SQL Joins" thread for
an example of a query that's quite unreadable without 'em.
        regards, tom lane

Re: nested inner join help

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Tom,

> Huh?  Parenthesizing JOINs is perfectly valid, and I think it's good
> style too in complex cases.  See the nearby "SQL Joins" thread for
> an example of a query that's quite unreadable without 'em.

Aha.  I see.  Of course, the OUTER JOINs here sort of require parens.

So, Darryl, you do want to use parens some of time.  Just to make it harder foryou to decide.  However, I would assert
thatin your example query they arenot necessary and actually make the syntax more difficult.

-Josh Berkus