Обсуждение: Help with INSERT into 2 tables

Help with INSERT into 2 tables

От
gntrs@hotmail.com (Gintas)
Дата:
I am new to SQL and don't know how to INSERT records to 2 tables.

The first table:
    CREATE TABLE aaaa ( aaaaid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,                        text VARCHAR(20)                      );

Second table:
    CREATE TABLE bbbb ( bbbbid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,                        aaaaid INTEGER REFERENCES aaaa (aaaaid) ON
DELETE CASCADE,                        sometext VARCHAR(200)                      );

I want to insert related records to both table.  The problem is that
in order to insert record to the second table it's necessary to know
"aaaaid" field from the first table("text" is not UNIQUE):

INSERT INTO aaaa (text) VALUES ('Some info');
INSERT INTO bbbb (aaaaid, sometext) VALUES (?????, 'Some text');

How is it possible to do that?
(I am inserting this from JAVA).

Thanks for help.

Gintaras

Re: Help with INSERT into 2 tables

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
You will need to:
1. Insert into aaaa
2. Get value of aaaaid for inserted record
3. Include aaaaid value explicitly in your insert to
bbbb.

The only question is how to do 2 above.  AFAIK doing a
separate command "SELECT
currval(aaaaid_sequence_name)" should work.
Alternatively, if the oid of the last inserted record
is returned to your Java program (sorry, I don't know
anything about the JDBC driver functionality, so don't
know whether that is so or not), then you can do
"SELECT aaaaid FROM aaaa WHERE oid = <oid of inserted
record>": which would probably be safer.

http://personals.yahoo.com

Re: Help with INSERT into 2 tables

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On 13 Nov 2001, Gintas wrote:

> I am new to SQL and don't know how to INSERT records to 2 tables.
>
> The first table:
>
>      CREATE TABLE aaaa ( aaaaid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
>                          text VARCHAR(20)
>                        );
>
> Second table:
>
>      CREATE TABLE bbbb ( bbbbid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
>                          aaaaid INTEGER REFERENCES aaaa (aaaaid) ON
> DELETE CASCADE,
>                          sometext VARCHAR(200)
>                        );
>
> I want to insert related records to both table.  The problem is that
> in order to insert record to the second table it's necessary to know
> "aaaaid" field from the first table("text" is not UNIQUE):
>
> INSERT INTO aaaa (text) VALUES ('Some info');
> INSERT INTO bbbb (aaaaid, sometext) VALUES (?????, 'Some text');
I think you want:currval('aaaa_aaaaid_seq')

Re: Help with INSERT into 2 tables

От
Roland Roberts
Дата:
   Gintas> I am new to SQL and don't know how to INSERT records to 2 tables.   Gintas> The first table:
   Gintas>      CREATE TABLE aaaa ( aaaaid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,   Gintas>                          text VARCHAR(20)
Gintas>                       );

   Gintas> Second table:
   Gintas>      CREATE TABLE bbbb ( bbbbid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,   Gintas>                          aaaaid INTEGER
REFERENCESaaaa (aaaaid) ON   Gintas> DELETE CASCADE,   Gintas>                          sometext VARCHAR(200)   Gintas>
                      );

   Gintas> I want to insert related records to both table.  The   Gintas> problem is that in order to insert record to
thesecond   Gintas> table it's necessary to know "aaaaid" field from the first   Gintas> table("text" is not UNIQUE):

   Gintas> INSERT INTO aaaa (text) VALUES ('Some info');   Gintas> INSERT INTO bbbb (aaaaid, sometext) VALUES (?????,
'Sometext');

   Gintas> How is it possible to do that?  (I am inserting this from   Gintas> JAVA).

The normal way to do this is to explicitly pull out the serial value
from the underlying sequence.  I.e., something like this
   select nextval('aaaa_aaaaid_seq');   begin transaction;   insert into aaaa (aaaaid, text) values ($seqno, 'Some
info');  insert into bbbb (aaaaid, sometext) VALUES ($seqno, 'Some text');   end transaction;

where you use the jdbc calls to retrieve the result from the "select
nextval...".

SERIAL types are not quite as useful as people tend to think unless
you have the ability to identify the value from some other
characteristic.  If the ID is purely an ID and you don't care about
its value, you still have to have a way of *finding* it.

roland
--            PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland@rlenter.com                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B
roland@astrofoto.org                       Forest Hills, NY 11375

Re: Help with INSERT into 2 tables

От
"Andrew G. Hammond"
Дата:

Re: Help with INSERT into 2 tables

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Andrew,

> I'd really like to figure out how to write a function that doesn't
> return
> anything (a "procedure" for all you pedantic CS types).  Oh well.

Easy.  Try:
CREATE FUNCTION ... RETURNS OPAQUE AS '
All triggers are expected to return Opaque, that is, nothing.

FYI, A "procedure" in SQL92 terms is waht we in Postgres call a
Function, except that Stored Procedures can return one or more result
sets as well/instead of a value.

-Josh