Обсуждение: How to see the definition of an existing table?

How to see the definition of an existing table?

От
ke wang
Дата:
Is there any command or query to see the definition of an existing table,
like which is the primary key, which is not null etc.

Thanks!

--Ke

Re: How to see the definition of an existing table?

От
Haller Christoph
Дата:
Within psql you can do commands like
\d <tablename>
to learn rudimentary information about
a table.

Try this to learn more sophisticated information

select u.usename, t.typname, a.attname, a.atttypid, a.attlen, a.attnotnull, a.attnum
from pg_user u, pg_type t, pg_attribute a
where u.usesysid = t.typowner
and t.typrelid = a.attrelid and t.typtype = 'c' and t.typname = 'pg_attribute'

where 'pg_attribute' should be replaced by the table's name you
are interested in.

Unfortunately, I don't know nothing about how to find the primary key
in a table definition.
But go for the PostgreSQL documentation - Chapter System Catalogs -
this should give you at least an idea which system catalog may
deliver the information.

Regards, Christoph

Re: How to see the definition of an existing table?

От
missive@frontiernet.net (Lee Harr)
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:51:52 +0000 (UTC), ke wang <kw68@cornell.edu> wrote:
> Is there any command or query to see the definition of an existing table,
> like which is the primary key, which is not null etc.

In psql:
\d tablename

to see what the exact query is, start psql with the -E flag:
psql -E
\d tablename