Обсуждение: Referencing a view?

Referencing a view?

От
"James Orr"
Дата:
Hi,

Is there anyway that you can reference a column in a view for referential integrity?  The problem is with the unique thing, obviously I can't create a unique index on a view.  Here is what I have:

CREATE SEQUENCE "addresses_id_seq" start 1 increment 1 maxvalue 2147483647 minvalue 1  cache 1 ;

CREATE TABLE "org_addresses" (
 "id" integer DEFAULT nextval('addresses_id_seq'::text) NOT NULL,
 "orgid" integer references orgs on delete cascade,
 "name" character varying(255),
 "street1" character varying(255),
 "street2" character varying(100),
 "city" character varying(100),
 "state" character(2),
 "zip" character(10),
 Constraint "org_addresses_pkey" Primary Key ("id")
);

CREATE TABLE "user_addresses" (
 "id" integer DEFAULT nextval('addresses_id_seq'::text) NOT NULL,
 "userid" integer references users on delete cascade,
 "name" character varying(255),
 "street1" character varying(255),
 "street2" character varying(100),
 "city" character varying(100),
 "state" character(2),
 "zip" character(10),
 Constraint "user_addresses_pkey" Primary Key ("id")
);

CREATE VIEW "addresses" as SELECT user_addresses.id, user_addresses.userid, user_addresses.name, user_addresses.street1, user_addresses.street2, user_addresses.city, user_addresses.state, user_addresses.zip FROM user_addresses UNION SELECT org_addresses.id, NULL::unknown, org_addresses.name, org_addresses.street1, org_addresses.street2, org_addresses.city, org_addresses.state, org_addresses.zip FROM org_addresses;
So this gives me a view with every address, each with a unique id as I used the same sequence in both tables.  Now what I want to do is something like this :

CREATE TABLE orders (
    id serial primary key,
    shipping_address int references addresses(id),
.
.
);

Which of course doesn't work because addresses as a view can't have a unique index.  Any way around this?

- James

Re: Referencing a view?

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, James Orr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there anyway that you can reference a column in a view for
> referential integrity?  The problem is with the unique thing,
> obviously I can't create a unique index on a view.  Here is what I
> have:

Not right now, and actually you still wouldn't get something that would
work even with a unique index.  We'd have to be able to push the
constraint conditions down into the two tables that you're unioning to
make it work correctly (think about the triggers on the referenced table
for update and delete - which in your case with a unique index would
be safe to put the triggers on all the time in both, but some view
conditions would be such that that wouldn't be sufficient).

You *might* be able to add the triggers manually and have it work.  I
haven't tried, and wouldn't guarantee it at all...

Re: Referencing a view?

От
"Grigoriy G. Vovk"
Дата: