Обсуждение: Inherited tables: How stable is that feature?

Inherited tables: How stable is that feature?

От
Florian Weimer
Дата:
Is it likely that table inheritance is going to be removed in future
PostgreSQL versions (or that the semantics change radically)?  Or can
I built a database on top of this feature without running the risk of
a major restructuring task in the next few years?

--
Florian Weimer                       Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/

Re: Inherited tables: How stable is that feature?

Дата:
Florian Weimer <Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE> writes:
> Is it likely that table inheritance is going to be removed in future
> PostgreSQL versions (or that the semantics change radically)?

I doubt anyone is planning to remove it.  If anything it'll get better
supported.  Notice that 7.1 now allows update/delete over inheritance
hierarchies, which never worked before --- that doesn't look like a
dying feature to me.

I would not really recommend using multiple inheritance, but single
inheritance seems like a safe-enough bet.
        regards, tom lane