Обсуждение: Quick question MySQL --> PgSQL

Quick question MySQL --> PgSQL

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,
Just a quick question ... I need to do a regular transfer (daily + on
demand) of data from a MySQL database to a PostgreSQL database and back
again.  Can anybody steer me towards a good script for this, or do I
have to write my own in PHP?
Sorry to bother everyone with something that isn't strictly a SQL
question, but I'm not sure where else to ask.
                -Josh Berkus

P.S. If somebody wants consulting $$$ for the above, it may be
available.

--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology      josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions       (415) 565-7293  for law firms, small

Re: Quick question MySQL --> PgSQL

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Josh Berkus wrote:

>     Just a quick question ... I need to do a regular transfer (daily + on
> demand) of data from a MySQL database to a PostgreSQL database and back
> again.  Can anybody steer me towards a good script for this, or do I
> have to write my own in PHP?

Don't think there is an actual migration script (I could be wrong,
though), but a program using Perl DBI or JDBC would make the data access a
bit easier -- if you wrote it generically enough, you could make the data
transfer go both ways with just a command-line switch.

-- Brett            http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Give all orders verbally.  Never write anything down that might go into a
"Pearl Harbor File".

Re: Quick question MySQL --> PgSQL

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
v7.1's contrib directory has the mysql->pgsql script that was used for the
SourceForge migration ... its also downloadable at
http://www.pgsql.com->Downloads

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Quick question MySQL --> PgSQL

От
clayton cottingham
Дата:
"Brett W. McCoy" wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> >       Just a quick question ... I need to do a regular transfer (daily + on
> > demand) of data from a MySQL database to a PostgreSQL database and back
> > again.  Can anybody steer me towards a good script for this, or do I
> > have to write my own in PHP?
>
> Don't think there is an actual migration script (I could be wrong,
> though), but a program using Perl DBI or JDBC would make the data access a
> bit easier -- if you wrote it generically enough, you could make the data
> transfer go both ways with just a command-line switch.
>
> -- Brett
>                                 http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
> Give all orders verbally.  Never write anything down that might go into a
> "Pearl Harbor File".

there is one in contrib

as well there is some through freshmeat.net

Re: Quick question MySQL --> PgSQL

От
dev@archonet.com
Дата:
On 3/6/01, 5:26:18 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote regarding [SQL]
Quick question MySQL --> PgSQL:

> Folks,

>       Just a quick question ... I need to do a regular transfer (daily +
on
> demand) of data from a MySQL database to a PostgreSQL database and back
> again.  Can anybody steer me towards a good script for this, or do I
> have to write my own in PHP?

Don't think you'll find much off the shelf - this sort of thing tends to
be specific to each person and each project. It's just a matter of
SELECTing from MySQL and INSERTing into PostgreSQL in a loop. Be careful
with things like times and dates and if you are doing it in PHP make sure
you've thought about error recovery. I'd recommend copying into an import
table then when it's confirmed that's worked do an internal copy in PG.

Remember if it's run from a browser the user can just break the
connection. Consider running it from a cron-job with lynx or wget (or
write the thing in perl).

>       Sorry to bother everyone with something that isn't strictly a SQL
> question, but I'm not sure where else to ask.

>                                       -Josh Berkus

> P.S. If somebody wants consulting $$$ for the above, it may be
> available.

Sadly I charge in £££ and it doesn't sound like a large enough job to
make it worth mucking around with conversions.

- Richard Huxton

Re: Quick question MySQL --> PgSQL

> there is one in contrib
>
> as well there is some through freshmeat.net

There are two in /contrib.  One from pgsql.com, and another from
freshmeat.net:
       http://ziet.zhitomir.ua/~fonin/code/

I would like to see these merged someday.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Quick question MySQL --> PgSQL

От
"Grigoriy G. Vovk"
Дата:
When I did the same task - I've writting a script on the perl, and if you
have stable databese structure, I think, it's a best way - write a script
which will run by cron /on-demand. Because, I don't remember exactly why
(date format is different or something else) but, I couldn't move data
from MySQl to text-file and from text-file to PostgreSQL directly, without
transformation.

Mar 6, 09:26 -0800, Josh Berkus has written:

> Folks,
>
>     Just a quick question ... I need to do a regular transfer (daily + on
> demand) of data from a MySQL database to a PostgreSQL database and back
> again.  Can anybody steer me towards a good script for this, or do I
> have to write my own in PHP?
>
>     Sorry to bother everyone with something that isn't strictly a SQL
> question, but I'm not sure where else to ask.
>
>                     -Josh Berkus
>
> P.S. If somebody wants consulting $$$ for the above, it may be
> available.
>
> --
> ______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________
>                                         Josh Berkus
>    Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
>     and data management solutions       (415) 565-7293
>    for law firms, small businesses       fax  621-2533
>     and non-profit organizations.       San Francisco

Grigoriy G. Vovk