Обсуждение: Use of RETURN in pl/pgsql function

Use of RETURN in pl/pgsql function

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
My script is below.

I thought (based on recent posts) that this use of RETURN is allowed, but
when trying an insert to report_table, I get the following error:

ERROR:  control reaches end of trigger procedure without RETURN

I have solved several problems in getting to this point, but have now run
out of ideas.  I would appreciate any pointers.

jeffe@kiyoko=> uname -a
FreeBSD kiyoko.la.verio.net 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Thu Apr 27
10:44:07 CDT 2000
jeffe@kiyoko=> psql -V
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.0.0

Script:

drop function mrr();

create function mrr() returns opaque as '

begin

if NEW.billing_frequency = ''Monthly''          -- That's doubled single
quotes (and below as well)

then
       return NEW;

else
       if NEW.billing_frequency = ''Yearly''
       then
               NEW.rate := NEW.rate/12;               NEW.rate_override := NEW.rate_override/12;
               return NEW;
       else
               if NEW.billing_frequency = ''Semi-Annual''
               then
                       NEW.rate := NEW.rate/6;                       NEW.rate_override := NEW.rate_override/6;
                   return NEW;

               else
                       if NEW.billing_frequency = ''Quarterly''
                       then
                               NEW.rate := NEW.rate/3;
                               NEW.rate_override := NEW.rate_override/3;
                               return NEW;
                       end if;
               end if;
       end if;

end if;

end;

'language 'plpgsql';

drop trigger mrr_set_trigger on report_table;

create trigger mrr_set_trigger

before insert on report_table

for each row execute procedure mrr();

Re: Use of RETURN in pl/pgsql function

Дата:
Jeff Eckermann <jeckermann@verio.net> writes:
> I thought (based on recent posts) that this use of RETURN is allowed, but
> when trying an insert to report_table, I get the following error:
> ERROR:  control reaches end of trigger procedure without RETURN

Looks to me like you didn't cover the case where billing_frequency is
not any of the values you tested for.  Maybe you just want to raise
an error in that case...
        regards, tom lane

RE: Use of RETURN in pl/pgsql function

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
I'll be hornswoggled: that works.
I hadn't expected a problem, simply because I knew the range in advance:
here is the distribution for the select that I was working with:
extracts=# select billing_frequency, count (*) from report_table group by
billing_frequency;billing_frequency | count
-------------------+-------Monthly           | 50431Quarterly         |  7742Semi-Annual       |   167Yearly
| 8573

(4 rows)
Nevertheless, just adding an "...else return new;" did the trick.
I don't understand the logic of this, but then, if I stopped to consider
every mystery, I'd never get any work done:-).
Thanks very much for your help (again).

Дата:
Jeff Eckermann <jeckermann@verio.net> writes:
> I'll be hornswoggled: that works.
> I hadn't expected a problem, simply because I knew the range in advance:

Odd.  Maybe there is a compile-time, rather than run-time, check in
plpgsql for falling off the end without a RETURN?  I haven't looked ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Use of RETURN in pl/pgsql function

От
Jie Liang
Дата:
You may try like:

if block
end if;
return somefakething;

no matter this return can be reached or not.
then compile will be no problem.

Jie LIANG

Internet Products Inc.

10350 Science Center Drive