Обсуждение: knowing which columns have beend UPDATEd inside a TRIGGER?

knowing which columns have beend UPDATEd inside a TRIGGER?

От
Louis-David Mitterrand
Дата:
Hello,

Is there a way to know which columns are being UPDATEd or INSERTEd from
inside a trigger, either in C or pl/pgsql?

Thanks in advance,

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - ldm@apartia.org - http://www.apartia.org

Re: NULL

От
Sandis Jerics
Дата:
Hello,

how must i write a NULL value in a text file for the \copy command to
understand it?
NULL, \0 doesnt work..

how must i write a boolean value in a text file for the \copy command to
understand it?
t doesnt work, however in a file written by /copy command it looks as
t or f ..

tried to search archives, but it seems deadly slow...

Thanks in advance,
sandis

Re: Re: NULL

От
Mark Volpe
Дата:
\N is normally used to represent NULL in a text file, however
you can change that to another string (or an empty string) using
COPY FROM ... WITH NULL AS

Mark

Sandis Jerics wrote:

> Hello,
>
> how must i write a NULL value in a text file for the \copy command to
> understand it?
> NULL, \0 doesnt work..
>
> how must i write a boolean value in a text file for the \copy command to
> understand it?
> t doesnt work, however in a file written by /copy command it looks as
> t or f ..
>
> tried to search archives, but it seems deadly slow...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> sandis

Re: knowing which columns have beend UPDATEd inside a TRIGGER?

Дата:
Louis-David Mitterrand <cunctator@apartia.ch> writes:
> Is there a way to know which columns are being UPDATEd or INSERTEd from
> inside a trigger, either in C or pl/pgsql?

Huh?  An INSERT always inserts all columns, by definition.  Some of them
might be null and/or equal to their default values, but they're all
there.

For an UPDATE, you could check to see whether old.col = new.col.
This would miss the case where an UPDATE command is explicitly setting
a column to the same value it already had; dunno if you care or not.
        regards, tom lane

Re: knowing which columns have beend UPDATEd inside a TRIGGER?

От
Louis-David Mitterrand
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 06:51:03PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Louis-David Mitterrand <cunctator@apartia.ch> writes:
> > Is there a way to know which columns are being UPDATEd or INSERTEd from
> > inside a trigger, either in C or pl/pgsql?
>
> Huh?  An INSERT always inserts all columns, by definition.  Some of them
> might be null and/or equal to their default values, but they're all
> there.

*slap* Doh! Thanks for clearing up my mind about this ;-)

> For an UPDATE, you could check to see whether old.col = new.col.
> This would miss the case where an UPDATE command is explicitly setting
> a column to the same value it already had; dunno if you care or not.

That is so obvious I didn't think about it, and it's exactly what I
need.

Thanks a lot,

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - ldm@apartia.org - http://www.apartia.org
Hi. This is my friend, Jack Shit, and you don't know him.

Re: knowing which columns have beend UPDATEd inside a TRIGGER?

От
Tomas Berndtsson
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Louis-David Mitterrand <cunctator@apartia.ch> writes:
> > Is there a way to know which columns are being UPDATEd or INSERTEd from
> > inside a trigger, either in C or pl/pgsql?
>
> Huh?  An INSERT always inserts all columns, by definition.  Some of them
> might be null and/or equal to their default values, but they're all
> there.
>
> For an UPDATE, you could check to see whether old.col = new.col.
> This would miss the case where an UPDATE command is explicitly setting
> a column to the same value it already had; dunno if you care or not.

Another way, is to have an extra boolean column called "updated", or
something like that. When you do the UPDATE, you make sure that always
updates the row with a 't' in that column. Then you do whatever you
need to do with the newly updated rows, and when done, you run another
UPDATE to set all rows to 'f' in the "updated" column.

Takes two updates, but might sometimes be easier than comparing the
rows to see if they've changed.

Tomas