Обсуждение: if else query help

if else query help

От
"Brian C. Doyle"
Дата:
Hello all,

I need to write a query that will pull information from table2 if
information in table1 is older then xdate.

My laymen example:

SELECT table2.date, count(table2.name) as count
WHERE table1.startdate > 2 weeks
AND table2.submitdate > 2 weeks
;

So i Guess my real questions is how do I determine the age of an entry to
another table?

Re: if else query help

От
Jean-Christophe Boggio
Дата:
hi Brian,

BCD> I need to write a query that will pull information from table2 if
BCD> information in table1 is older then xdate.

BCD> My laymen example:

BCD> SELECT table2.date, count(table2.name) as count
BCD> WHERE table1.startdate > 2 weeks
BCD> AND table2.submitdate > 2 weeks
BCD> ;

BCD> So i Guess my real questions is how do I determine the age of an entry to
BCD> another table?

Try this :

Select table2.date,count(table2.name) as count from table1 as t1, table2 as t2where t1.itemid=t2.itemid     -- to link
thetables  and t1.startdate>now()-14  and t2.submitdate>now()-14;

Someone corrects me if I'm wrong, I come from the Oracle world...

Dates (or I should say TimeStamps) are stored as floating point values
: the integer part is the number of days since a certain date
(epoch or 01/01/1970 on unix-based databases) and the fractionnal part is the
portion of the day (although I don't know --yet-- how to convert
date2-date1 to an integer, trunc does not work).

HTH

--
Jean-Christophe Boggio
cat@thefreecat.org

Re: if else query help

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Brian, Jean-Christophe,

>Someone corrects me if I'm wrong, I come from the Oracle world...
>
> Dates (or I should say TimeStamps) are stored as floating point values
> : the integer part is the number of days since a certain date
> (epoch or 01/01/1970 on unix-based databases) and the fractionnal part is the
> portion of the day (although I don't know --yet-- how to convert
> date2-date1 to an integer, trunc does not work).

You're doing this the hard way.  One of Postgres' best features is its
rich collection of date-manipulation functions.  Please see:

... Hmmmm.  The online docs appear to be down.  When they're back up,
please check the sections on: Date/Time data types, and Date/Time
manipulation functions.
                -Josh Berkus

P.S. Brian, a general tutorial on writing SQL, such as O'Reilly's
soon-to-be released SQL book, might help you a great deal.

--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology      josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions       (415) 436-9166  for law firms, small

Re: if else query help

От
Jie Liang
Дата:
Hey, there,

This is very interesting.
I have similar problem:
I want drop some junky table in my database, how can I detect a table when last
time it is used.
I try to say that I want to know how long this table has NOT been used at all.

I don't which system table holds this statistics.

--
Jie LIANG

Internet Products Inc.

10350 Science Center Drive
Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92121
Office:(858)320-4873

jliang@ipinc.com
www.ipinc.com

Re: if else query help

От
John McKown
Дата:
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Jean-Christophe Boggio wrote:

<snip>
> portion of the day (although I don't know --yet-- how to convert
> date2-date1 to an integer, trunc does not work).

reltime(date2-date1)::int

Will subtract date1 from date2, then cast it to an integer.

John