Обсуждение: currval

currval

От
Craig May
Дата:
Hi,

I'm executing the following statements in series.

insert into [tablename] values('a', 'b', 'c');

select currval('serial');

serial being the default index on [tablename]

The statement works fine from the command line, however, when executing via
jdbc, I'm getting no results back (null pointer).

Has anyone experienced this and have a solution?

Regards,
Craig May

Enth Dimension
http://www.enthdimension.com.au

plpgsql

От
Jie Liang

Hi, there,

Is there any way to handle exception ( such as cannot insert duplicate key on
a unique index) in
plpgsql function?

I don't want it abort whole transaction instead I want to do something else if
it happened,
but I don't want to use a select stmt first to waste the time.

In Orcale, in plsql we can say,
declare
begin
do something
exception
do something else
end;

How to this exception section in plpgsql????

--
Jie LIANG

Internet Products Inc.

10350 Science Center Drive
Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92121
Office:(858)320-4873

jliang@ipinc.com
www.ipinc.com

Re: plpgsql

От
Kovacs Zoltan Sandor
Дата:
> Hi, there,
>
> Is there any way to handle exception ( such as cannot insert duplicate key on
> a unique index) in
> plpgsql function?
>
> I don't want it abort whole transaction instead I want to do something else if
> it happened,
> but I don't want to use a select stmt first to waste the time.
Bad news: there is no such statement in PLPGSQL you like. My usual way to
do this is the same you wrote (SELECT first, if no rows FOUND, do the
INSERT).

Zoltan

Re: plpgsql

От
Jie Liang
Дата:
OO,

That's a big disadvantage, because if the table is huge, using select stmt
walking even on an index will take some time and duplicate occur not
often, efficiency is a big problem.

Thanks anyway.

Jie LIANG

Internet Products Inc.