Обсуждение: Aggregates and Primary Keys

Aggregates and Primary Keys

От
Itai Zukerman
Дата:
Hi,

I have this:
 create table a ( x int4 primary key, dat int4, count int4 ) ; create table b ( x int4 references a(x), count int4 ) ;
 insert into a values ( 1, 1, 10 ) ; insert into a values ( 2, 2, 20 ) ; insert into b values ( 1, 2 ) ; insert into b
values( 1, 3 ) ; insert into b values ( 2, 3 ); insert into b values ( 2, 4 );

 select * from a ; select * from b ;
  x | dat | count  ---+-----+-------  1 |   1 |    10  2 |   2 |    20 (2 rows)
  x | count  ---+-------  1 |     2  1 |     3  2 |     3  2 |     4 (4 rows)
 select a.x, a.dat, a.count - sum(b.count) from a, b where a.x = b.x group by a.x, a.dat, a.count ;
  x | ?column?  ---+----------  1 |        5  2 |       13 (2 rows)

My concern is with the "group by" clause.  Strictly speaking, it
shouldn't be necessary to *also* group by a.dat and a.count, since a.x
is a primary key, right?  Is there some performance loss in specifying
a.dat and a.count in the group by?  Should I be doing this some other
way?

Thanks,
-itai

Conditional rule?

От
"André Næss"
Дата:
I've been looking through the material I have on postgreSQL, but can't seem
to find an answer to my problem. Very simplied, my tables are something like
this:

create table news (  id serial,  story text,  publishtime timestamp
)

create table news_unpublished ( news_id
)

I wish to make rule looking something like this:
create rule newsrule as on insert to news do   if new.publishtime is not null insert into news_unpublished
values(new.id);

I.e. "On an insert to news, if new.publish is not null, insert the new
post's id into news_unpublished.

Is this possible?

Thanks

André Næss

Re: Conditional rule?

От
Itai Zukerman
Дата:
> I.e. "On an insert to news, if new.publish is not null, insert the new
> post's id into news_unpublished.

How about:

CREATE RULE newsrule AS
ON INSERT TO news
DO INSERT INTO news_unpublished SELECT NEW.id WHERE NEW.publishtime IS NOT NULL

-itai

Re: Conditional rule?

Дата:
"André Næss" <andre.nass@student.uib.no> writes:
> I wish to make rule looking something like this:
> create rule newsrule as
>   on insert to news do
>     if new.publishtime is not null insert into news_unpublished
> values(new.id);

> I.e. "On an insert to news, if new.publish is not null, insert the new
> post's id into news_unpublished.

What you want here is a trigger, not a rule.  The closest you could come
with a rule is to copy *all* unpublished ids into news_unpublished each
time something got inserted into news.  There are applications for that
sort of thing, but this ain't it.  See the trigger examples in the
plpgsql or pltcl sections of the manual.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Conditional rule?

От
"André Næss"
Дата:
Hm... I'm a true newbie when it comes to plpgsql and triggers, but I looked
through some texts and managed to come up with the following rather odd (to
me at least) behaviour:

*****

create table news ( id serial, title varchar(50), time timestamp
)

create table news_un ( news_id int
)
       Table "news_un"Attribute |  Type   | Modifier
-----------+---------+----------news_id   | integer |

create function setpublish() returns opaque as ' begin   insert into news_un select news_id_seq.last_value where
new.timeis not

null;   return null; end; ' language 'plpgsql';

create trigger newstrigger after insert on news for each row execute
procedure setpublish();

*****
Attempting to do an insert to news:

testruledb=# insert into news (title, time) values('Test', now());
INSERT 24028 1
testruledb=# select * from news; select * from news_un;id | title |          time
----+-------+------------------------48 | Test  | 2000-07-27 19:20:24+02
(1 row)
news_id
---------     47     48
(2 rows)

I also tried setting time to null:

testruledb=# insert into news (title) values('Test2');
INSERT 24031 1
testruledb=# select * from news; select * from news_un;id | title | time
----+-------+------50 | Test2 |
(1 row)
news_id
---------     49
(1 row)

There's obviously something about triggers and functions I don't understand,
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

André Næss

> > I wish to make rule looking something like this:
> > create rule newsrule as
> >   on insert to news do
> >     if new.publishtime is not null insert into news_unpublished
> > values(new.id);
>
> > I.e. "On an insert to news, if new.publish is not null, insert the new
> > post's id into news_unpublished.
>
> What you want here is a trigger, not a rule.  The closest you could come
> with a rule is to copy *all* unpublished ids into news_unpublished each
> time something got inserted into news.  There are applications for that
> sort of thing, but this ain't it.  See the trigger examples in the
> plpgsql or pltcl sections of the manual.
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: Conditional rule?

От
"André Næss"
Дата:
Ooops... seems I had a rule tied to my news table which caused the
malfunction, sorry if I wasted anyone's time :(

André Næss

> Hm... I'm a true newbie when it comes to plpgsql and triggers, but I
looked
> through some texts and managed to come up with the following rather odd
> me at least) behaviour:
>
> *****
>
> create table news (
>   id serial,
>   title varchar(50),
>   time timestamp
> )
>
> create table news_un (
>   news_id int
> )
>
>         Table "news_un"
>  Attribute |  Type   | Modifier
> -----------+---------+----------
>  news_id   | integer |
>
> create function setpublish() returns opaque as '
>   begin
>     insert into news_un select news_id_seq.last_value where new.time is
not
> null;
>     return null;
>   end;
>   '
>   language 'plpgsql';
>
> create trigger newstrigger after insert on news for each row execute
> procedure setpublish();
>
> *****
> Attempting to do an insert to news:
>
> testruledb=# insert into news (title, time) values('Test', now());
> INSERT 24028 1
> testruledb=# select * from news; select * from news_un;
>  id | title |          time
> ----+-------+------------------------
>  48 | Test  | 2000-07-27 19:20:24+02
> (1 row)
>
>  news_id
> ---------
>       47
>       48
> (2 rows)
>
> I also tried setting time to null:
>
> testruledb=# insert into news (title) values('Test2');
> INSERT 24031 1
> testruledb=# select * from news; select * from news_un;
>  id | title | time
> ----+-------+------
>  50 | Test2 |
> (1 row)
>
>  news_id
> ---------
>       49
> (1 row)
>
> There's obviously something about triggers and functions I don't
understand,
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> André Næss

Re: Conditional rule?

От
"Robert B. Easter"
Дата:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Andr� N�ss wrote:
> I've been looking through the material I have on postgreSQL, but can't seem
> to find an answer to my problem. Very simplied, my tables are something like
> this:
>
> create table news (
>    id serial,
>    story text,
>    publishtime timestamp
> )
>
> create table news_unpublished (
>   news_id
> )
>
> I wish to make rule looking something like this:
> create rule newsrule as
>   on insert to news do
>     if new.publishtime is not null insert into news_unpublished
> values(new.id);
>
> I.e. "On an insert to news, if new.publish is not null, insert the new
> post's id into news_unpublished.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andr� N�ss

I think a PL/pgSQL trigger will work:

-- Load the PGSQL procedural language
-- This could also be done with the createlang script/program.
-- See man createlang.
CREATE FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler()RETURNS OPAQUE AS '/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so'LANGUAGE 'C';
CREATE TRUSTED PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'HANDLER plpgsql_call_handlerLANCOMPILER 'PL/pgSQL';

CREATE FUNCTION news_trigproc RETURNS OPAQUE AS 'IF TG_OP = ''INSERT'' THEN-- unnessary IF above since this is always
calledon insert only-- but shows how can detect which OP called the trigger when-- you make a trigger handle more than
justINSERT    IF NEW.publishtime NOTNULL THEN        INSERT INTO news_unpublished VALUES (NEW.id);    END IF;    RETURN
NEW;ENDIF;

' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

CREATE TRIGGER newstriggerAFTER INSERT ON news FOR EACH ROWEXECUTE PROCEDURE news_trigproc();

--         - Robert

Re: Conditional rule?

От
"Robert B. Easter"
Дата:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Robert B. Easter wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Andr� N�ss wrote:
> > I've been looking through the material I have on postgreSQL, but can't seem
> > to find an answer to my problem. Very simplied, my tables are something like
> > this:
> >
> > create table news (
> >    id serial,
> >    story text,
> >    publishtime timestamp
> > )
> >
> > create table news_unpublished (
> >   news_id
> > )
> >
> > I wish to make rule looking something like this:
> > create rule newsrule as
> >   on insert to news do
> >     if new.publishtime is not null insert into news_unpublished
> > values(new.id);
> >
> > I.e. "On an insert to news, if new.publish is not null, insert the new
> > post's id into news_unpublished.
> >
> > Is this possible?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Andr� N�ss

(forgot the BEGIN/END in the function!)

I think a PL/pgSQL trigger will work:

-- Load the PGSQL procedural language
-- This could also be done with the createlang script/program.
-- See man createlang.
CREATE FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler()RETURNS OPAQUE AS '/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so'LANGUAGE 'C';
CREATE TRUSTED PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'HANDLER plpgsql_call_handlerLANCOMPILER 'PL/pgSQL';

CREATE FUNCTION news_trigproc RETURNS OPAQUE AS '
BEGINIF TG_OP = ''INSERT'' THEN-- unnessary IF above since this is always called on insert only-- but shows how can

JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Tom Lane wrote:
> "André Næss" <andre.nass@student.uib.no> writes:
> > I wish to make rule looking something like this:
> > create rule newsrule as
> >   on insert to news do
> >     if new.publishtime is not null insert into news_unpublished
> > values(new.id);
>
> > I.e. "On an insert to news, if new.publish is not null, insert the new
> > post's id into news_unpublished.
>
> What you want here is a trigger, not a rule.  The closest you could come
> with a rule is to copy *all* unpublished ids into news_unpublished each
> time something got inserted into news.  There are applications for that
> sort of thing, but this ain't it.  See the trigger examples in the
> plpgsql or pltcl sections of the manual.
   No. The rule
       CREATE RULE newsrule AS ON INSERT TO news           WHERE new.publishtime NOTNULL DO           INSERT INTO
news_unpublishedVALUES (new.id);

   should  do  the  job  perfectly.  Maybe  you want to have the   following rules too:
       CREATE RULE newsrule2 AS ON UPDATE TO news           WHERE old.publishtime ISNULL AND new.publishtime NOTNULL DO
         INSERT INTO news_unpublished VALUES (new.id);

       CREATE RULE newsrule3 AS ON UPDATE TO news           WHERE old.publishtime NOTNULL AND new.publishtime ISNULL DO
         DELETE FROM news_unpublished WHERE news_unpublished.id = old.id;

       CREATE RULE newsrule4 AS ON DELETE TO news           WHERE old.publishtime NOTNULL DO           DELETE FROM
news_unpublishedWHERE news_unpublished.id = old.id;

   With these four rules, all the inserts and deletes  are  done   automatically.

Jan

Re: Conditional rule?

От
"André Næss"