Обсуждение: SQL features...

SQL features...

От
rjb@typeline.com
Дата:
There seems to be a few SQL compatibility issues in Postgres that are
making it difficult for me to convert from Interbase. They are:

Support for foreign keys
Cascading a deletion across a referenced table or tables using a foreign
key

Does anyone know when these feature might be implemented?

Also: Is libpg a shared library? Can I write a client program say on a
FreeBSD
box that links to this library and calls a remote
Postgres db server running on a Linux box?

Thanks

Re: [SQL] SQL features...

От
Howie
Дата:
On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 rjb@typeline.com wrote:

> There seems to be a few SQL compatibility issues in Postgres that are
> making it difficult for me to convert from Interbase. They are:
>
> Support for foreign keys
> Cascading a deletion across a referenced table or tables using a foreign
> key

refint, for now, handles foreign key constraints.  search the mailing list
for additional info.

> Does anyone know when these feature might be implemented?

full fk support ( via REFERENCES ) is due out in 7.0.

> Also: Is libpg a shared library?

depends on how you compile it.

> Can I write a client program say on a
> FreeBSD
> box that links to this library and calls a remote
> Postgres db server running on a Linux box?

yes.  and vice versa.

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"I've learned that you cannot make someone love you.  All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in."

Re: [SQL] SQL features...

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> > Does anyone know when these feature might be implemented?
>
> full fk support ( via REFERENCES ) is due out in 7.0.

    Not  full,  only  partial.  All that'll be available is MATCH
    FULL.  Missing will be MATCH PARTIAL, MATCH <unspecified> and
    PENDANT.

    But  will  be  much  better than refint anyway, since it will
    completely  support  DEFERRED  and  check  for  thinks   like
    "triggered data change violation".

Jan