Обсуждение: Re: [SQL] Typecasting within sql statement.

Re: [SQL] Typecasting within sql statement.

От
lynch@lscorp.com (Richard Lynch)
Дата:
Try something like this:

update myTable set field = 42::text::varchar;

I think the int4 --> text converter is written, and text --> varchar is
written, but int4 --> varchar is not.

Basically, anytime you need to go from one type to another that doesn't
seem to have a converter, look for a more general intermediate type.

At least, that's my understanding after one fight with this. :-)

-- "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch@lscorp.com

Re: [SQL] Typecasting within sql statement.

От
Colin Dick
Дата:
> update myTable set field = 42::text::varchar;
>
> I think the int4 --> text converter is written, and text --> varchar is
> written, but int4 --> varchar is not.

Well,
    It seems you understand what I am looking for but this did not
work.  I get an error of:

WARN:parser: parse error at or near "::"

Do you think my fastest solution would be to write a func (inttochar)
which accepts and int and returns a char.  Should only take a minute.  I
think that is what I will do.  Thanks for your help.

If anyone else knows an easier solution, let me know and I will dump my
function.  Have a good weekend.

--
Colin Dick
On Call Internet Services