Обсуждение: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: Questionsabout PostgreSQL v8

Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: Questionsabout PostgreSQL v8

От
frederic.germaneau@bull.net
Дата:
I choose this naming to avoid corrupting any already installed older
version;
(i.e. my old postgresql 7 rpm create also a postgre7 user, and the 2
versions work at the same time on the same server (I just need to change
one postmaster port))

Maybe I will use a macro to offer the possiblity to rename the user.

Frederic Germaneau
Bull(France)
(+33) 4 76 29 70 41

Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> sur 02/01/2005 11:21:08 AM

Pour : frederic.germaneau@bull.net
cc :   pgsql-ports@postgresql.org
Objet :     Re: Réf. : Re: [PORTS] Questions about PostgreSQL v8

frederic.germaneau@bull.net wrote:
> I have build a rpm for AIX5.2 compiled with VaC 6 in 64bit mode.
>
> It doesn't deliver any contribution, but it works fine.

Oh that's nice.  Maybe you can make it available to AIX users.

> My rpm creates a user named postgre8, tunes his limits and creates pg
> home inside his home.

Please don't name users "postgre"-something.  The proper name is
"postgres".

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: [PORTS]

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
frederic.germaneau@bull.net wrote:
> I choose this naming to avoid corrupting any already installed older
> version;
> (i.e. my old postgresql 7 rpm create also a postgre7 user, and the 2
> versions work at the same time on the same server (I just need to
> change one postmaster port))

If you distinguish between PostgreSQL 7 and PostgreSQL 8 then you have a
grave misunderstanding about the PostgreSQL version numbering.  The
major version numbers go ... 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1, ...  The change
from 7 to 8 is purely arbitrary.  So to make sense you should create
users postgre72, postgre73, postgre74, postgre80, etc., otherwise it's
just random.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: R?f. : Re: R?f. : Re: [PORTS]

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> frederic.germaneau@bull.net wrote:
> > I choose this naming to avoid corrupting any already installed older
> > version;
> > (i.e. my old postgresql 7 rpm create also a postgre7 user, and the 2
> > versions work at the same time on the same server (I just need to
> > change one postmaster port))
>
> If you distinguish between PostgreSQL 7 and PostgreSQL 8 then you have a
> grave misunderstanding about the PostgreSQL version numbering.  The
> major version numbers go ... 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1, ...  The change
> from 7 to 8 is purely arbitrary.  So to make sense you should create
> users postgre72, postgre73, postgre74, postgre80, etc., otherwise it's
> just random.

I wonder if we should define major/minor version numbers somewhere, like
in the FAQ?

Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: [PORTS]

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 01 February 2005 09:11, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> frederic.germaneau@bull.net wrote:
> > I choose this naming to avoid corrupting any already installed older
> > version;
> > (i.e. my old postgresql 7 rpm create also a postgre7 user, and the 2
> > versions work at the same time on the same server (I just need to
> > change one postmaster port))
>
> If you distinguish between PostgreSQL 7 and PostgreSQL 8 then you have a
> grave misunderstanding about the PostgreSQL version numbering.  The
> major version numbers go ... 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1, ...  The change
> from 7 to 8 is purely arbitrary.  So to make sense you should create
> users postgre72, postgre73, postgre74, postgre80, etc., otherwise it's
> just random.

Even better would be postgres72, postgres73, postgres74, etc... :-)

--
Robert Treat