Обсуждение: Win32 native port question

Win32 native port question

От
"Brother Tuck"
Дата:
Hi,
Firstly, postgresSQL is a great product, simple to administrate, simple to
port (on unix). Your team have done a very good job.
I would like to make a wish for the next version.
Is it possible to get a native port on Microsoft windows system (NT or
2000). I know that I can use cygnus stuff and port the server. But my wish
will to get a port of the server on Win32 without Cygnus.
The server should be start as service or as a console program (like apache).
Is it plain ? Or never ?

Regards,
Mr Emmanuel Soden

Re: Win32 native port question

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Emmanuel,

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 07:59:21AM -0000, Brother Tuck wrote:
> Thank's for your answer. What I mean in my previous mail, it's a wish.
> Is it possible to get Postgres compiled natively on Windows ?
> Sorry but for me cygnus is not a native stuff. Even If postgres run very
> well. I have try it ;c)
> I believe no... I'm sure that if you provid a native port without cygnus
> interface. Microsoft will be interested to put it on their system. For
> example I would like to provid the database to several customer. I have
> explain the product to 10 differents customer and showing them the benefit
> to use postgreSql. Only one agree with me, all other are against because
> PostgreSql is not a native port.

I purposely avoided your native Win32 port question before because I
am not qualified to answer it.  FWIW, I will pass along some hearsay.
IIRC, it have been stated before that the PostgreSQL team has no plans
for a native Win32 port.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

RE: Win32 native port question

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Hi,
> Firstly, postgresSQL is a great product, simple to
> administrate, simple to
> port (on unix). Your team have done a very good job.
> I would like to make a wish for the next version.
> Is it possible to get a native port on Microsoft windows
> system (NT or
> 2000). I know that I can use cygnus stuff and port the
> server. But my wish
> will to get a port of the server on Win32 without Cygnus.
> The server should be start as service or as a console program
> (like apache). Is it plain ? Or never ?

I'd say it's highly unlikely that will ever be done. PostgreSQL uses too
many Unix APIs that are not available on native Win32. It would require
a complete rewrite of almost all core parts of the server - I doubt
there is somebody willing to do that, and able to do it in a way that
would not affect the currently supported platforms.
So I think for the foreseeable (sp?) future, you will have to live with
native Win32 client, but the server only on Cygnus or Unix.

//Magnus

Re: Win32 native port question

Дата:
Someone is working on a native port.  I have attached the email.

> Hi,
> Firstly, postgresSQL is a great product, simple to administrate, simple to
> port (on unix). Your team have done a very good job.
> I would like to make a wish for the next version.
> Is it possible to get a native port on Microsoft windows system (NT or
> 2000). I know that I can use cygnus stuff and port the server. But my wish
> will to get a port of the server on Win32 without Cygnus.
> The server should be start as service or as a console program (like apache).
> Is it plain ? Or never ?
>
> Regards,
> Mr Emmanuel Soden
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: Win32 native port question

Дата:
> Bruce,
>
> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:46:01AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Someone is working on a native port.  I have attached the email.
>
> The attachment appears to be empty (at least to me).

One update.  This makes is an NT service, but I don't think this is a
native port.  It still uses cygin, is my guess.

Re: Win32 native port question

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Bruce,

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:46:01AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Someone is working on a native port.  I have attached the email.

The attachment appears to be empty (at least to me).

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: Win32 native port question

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Bruce,

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:58:26AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:46:01AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Someone is working on a native port.  I have attached the email.
> >
> > The attachment appears to be empty (at least to me).
>
> One update.  This makes is an NT service, but I don't think this is a
> native port.  It still uses cygin, is my guess.

The attachment is still empty, but I'm guessing that you are referring
to Fred Yankowski's forthcoming Cygwin PostgreSQL NT service patch.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp.               Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: Win32 native port question

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Someone is working on a native port.  I have attached the email.

He's not working on a native port.

Re: Win32 native port question

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Brother Tuck writes:

> Is it possible to get a native port on Microsoft windows system (NT or
> 2000). I know that I can use cygnus stuff and port the server. But my wish
> will to get a port of the server on Win32 without Cygnus.

Why?

Re: Win32 native port question

От
"Brother Tuck"
Дата:
Hi,
Because ... ;c) (joke)

1 - When you want to sell product coming from Unix world to Microsoft
     system. Only for comercial reason.

2 - With native normally performance are improved. In my compagny
     we have done some port using Cygnus and now we go back to native
     port just for the performance.

Some other products which come from Unix are natively port on Windows. I
notice that a simple question make a lot of mails.;c)
Microsoft Fans or Administrators don't want to put additional product such
cygnus. I don't know why ? I understand when you say that port postgreSql on
Windows will be the same than rewrite Postgresql.
Anyway as I said before, it just a question.

Regards,
Emmanuel Soden