Обсуждение: New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT

New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT

От
Joerg Hessdoerfer
Дата:
Hi all!

I'll try it again, using a different approach.

This distribution allows you to run postmaster as a service under Win NT,
and was tested
on two completely different machines. It uses the cygwin setup schema to
install, so
it also supports easy installation for users that have cygwin already
installed.

Download the README and distribution from ftp://129.247.96.142/PostgresNT.

You will need either PostgreSQL-7.0.2-1.tar.gz (if you already have cygwin
1.1.4) or
pqsql-NT-complete-0.1.zip if you want don't have cygwin 1.1.4 (and don't
plan to install
it from another source).
cygipc-1.07.tar.gz can be found there, too.
After download, please follow the instructions in README.

Please contact me for any installation reports.

I hope, this works better for most users -  it's cleaner than my first
attempt in many
respects.

Greetings,
    Joerg

Re: New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Joerg,

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 10:07:25AM +0200, Joerg Hessdoerfer wrote:
> Download the README and distribution from ftp://129.247.96.142/PostgresNT.

The following MS KB article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q243/4/86.ASP

indicates that AutoExNT is part of the MS Windows 2000 Resource Kit.
If the licensing terms of the MS Windows 2000 Resource Kit is the same
as the MS Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit, then AutoExNT is not freely
distributable.  This is the same issue that srvany.exe (from the MS
Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit) has.

My suggestion would be to remove your distro's dependency on AutoExNT
and replace it will Idetix's Invoker which is unencumbered.  You can
find Invoker at:

    http://www.idetix.com/files/invkr153.zip

BTW, I may eventually patch postmaster (i.e., postgres.exe) to be a
true NT service similar to what Cygwin did for inetd.exe.  If so, I
will certainly submit this patch for consideration.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

RE: New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT

От
Horák Daniel
Дата:
> I'll try it again, using a different approach.
>
> This distribution allows you to run postmaster as a service
> under Win NT,
> and was tested
> on two completely different machines. It uses the cygwin
> setup schema to
> install, so
> it also supports easy installation for users that have cygwin already
> installed.
>
> Download the README and distribution from
> ftp://129.247.96.142/PostgresNT.

Do you have some automated mechanism to build the distribution archive? I
think this archive could be the standard distribution.

But as Yutaka Tanida noticed two weeks ago there are problems with Cygwin
1.1.4. So we should try to solve this too. Maybe we can test the development
snapshot of cygwin1.dll.

I have tried to run the latest version in CVS - with small updates it
compiles and runs the regression test well (only the horology test is
failing - this is a known problem with cygwin).

The changes were:
- make install moves dlls into bin and not lib (you need to have only
pgsql/bin in PATH)
- ifdefs around sys_nerr
- exported symbol TransactionCommandContext (required by plpgsql)
- use AF_UNIX sockets - it compiles but didn't work on my machine (the
special file (similar to symlink in cygwin) created by cygwin was corrupted)
- delete the results for float8 test as they are the same as
float8-small-is-zero

all the changes above do not degrade the function of pgsql, but the
following does:
- because there is not strtoull function in cygwin the support for "long
long" type in ECPG (ecpg/lib/data.c) has to be disabled, we will have to
include some implementation into src/port and link it with ecpg?

To Jason Tishler - I think would be a good idea to make postmaster a service
(like inetd), but the ipc-daemon is also a candidate.

            Dan

Re: New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Horák,

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 05:28:00PM +0200, Horák Daniel wrote:
> Do you have some automated mechanism to build the distribution archive? I
> think this archive could be the standard distribution.

If Joerg doesn't, then I can provide what I use to build the .tar.gz that we
install with Cygwin's setup.exe.

> But as Yutaka Tanida noticed two weeks ago there are problems with Cygwin
> 1.1.4. So we should try to solve this too. Maybe we can test the development
> snapshot of cygwin1.dll.

Agreed.  Unfortunately, I'm not very knowledge with PostgreSQL and cannot
really help in this area.  Although, I encourage those who find Cygwin
related problems to report them back to the Cygwin list:

    cygwin@sources.redhat.com

> I have tried to run the latest version in CVS - with small updates it
> compiles and runs the regression test well (only the horology test is
> failing - this is a known problem with cygwin).
>
> The changes were:
> - make install moves dlls into bin and not lib (you need to have only
> pgsql/bin in PATH)

My build "script" just copies pq.dll to pgsql/bin instead of all of the
DLLs.

> - exported symbol TransactionCommandContext (required by plpgsql)

Did my patch get into CVS?  I thought that I resolved all of the
plpgsql.dll build problems.

> - use AF_UNIX sockets - it compiles but didn't work on my machine (the
> special file (similar to symlink in cygwin) created by cygwin was corrupted)

Please report the above problem to the Cygwin list.

> To Jason Tishler - I think would be a good idea to make postmaster a service
> (like inetd), but the ipc-daemon is also a candidate.

You are right -- both have to be services to be useful.  More work!  Sigh...

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corporation         Fax:   +1 (732) 264-8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7             Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com

Re: New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT

От
Joerg Hessdoerfer
Дата:
Hi!

At 11:08 16.10.00 -0400, you wrote:
[...]
>The following MS KB article:
>
>     http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q243/4/86.ASP
>
>indicates that AutoExNT is part of the MS Windows 2000 Resource Kit.
>If the licensing terms of the MS Windows 2000 Resource Kit is the same
>as the MS Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit, then AutoExNT is not freely
>distributable.  This is the same issue that srvany.exe (from the MS
>Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit) has.

Yuck! I actually took it of another non-M$ related website ;-)

>My suggestion would be to remove your distro's dependency on AutoExNT
>and replace it will Idetix's Invoker which is unencumbered.  You can
>find Invoker at:
>
>     http://www.idetix.com/files/invkr153.zip

I'll look into it, when my time allows for this. (Probably around
the weekend). Thanks for the pointer!

>BTW, I may eventually patch postmaster (i.e., postgres.exe) to be a
>true NT service similar to what Cygwin did for inetd.exe.  If so, I
>will certainly submit this patch for consideration.

[...]
Yes, that would be best... but, as Daniel Horak mentioned, we should perhaps go
for ipc-daemon as well.

Greetings,
         Joerg

Re: New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT

От
Yutaka tanida

> >My suggestion would be to remove your distro's dependency on AutoExNT
> >and replace it will Idetix's Invoker which is unencumbered.  You can
> >find Invoker at:
> >
> >     http://www.idetix.com/files/invkr153.zip
>
> I'll look into it, when my time allows for this. (Probably around
> the weekend). Thanks for the pointer!

I already use it.Following command can be service both postmaster and
ipc-daemon .

invoker install cygipc cygipc "ipc-daemon.exe -q" manual true
invoker install pgsql pgsql "sh -c 'postmaster -i'" manual true

> >BTW, I may eventually patch postmaster (i.e., postgres.exe) to be a
> >true NT service similar to what Cygwin did for inetd.exe.  If so, I
> >will certainly submit this patch for consideration.
>
> [...]
> Yes, that would be best... but, as Daniel Horak mentioned, we should perhaps go
> for ipc-daemon as well.

 Unfortunally postmaster is symlink of postgres.exe, so we can't execute
directly symlink as NT service.

--
Yutaka tanida <yutaka@hi-net.zaq.ne.jp>

RE: New PostgreSQL binary distro for Windows NT

От
Horák Daniel
Дата:
> > - exported symbol TransactionCommandContext (required by plpgsql)
>
> Did my patch get into CVS?  I thought that I resolved all of the
> plpgsql.dll build problems.

your patch was for 7.0.2 (there was a change from 7.0) and my changes are
needed in pre7.1 (there was a different change ;-)

        Dan