Обсуждение: Onto a Caldera 2.2 distro

Onto a Caldera 2.2 distro

От
Francis K Shim
Дата:
This is not a strict porting question really, but just wanted to check with
others whether there might be a better way of doing this...

I managed to get the RPM package of postgresql for RedHat installed onto
Caldera's 2.2 distro.  I had to do a few guessing to resolve some *real*
dependency problems by downloading other RPMs for missing programs and
libraries, but there were several depencies that were *misleading*.  For
example, I had the library "libc.so.6", but kpackage/rpm reported it as
missing.  What I ended up doing is just ignoring the depencies that were
*false*.  My guess is that RPMs are looking in the RPM database for specific
RPM groups for where the packages or files are reported as being installed;
hence, an RPM destined for a Redhat distro may have a different
database groupings compared to groupings for a Caldera distro.

I did, however, had to install "chkconfig" since my Caldera distribution did
not have it and the libraries libtermcap and libcrypt.

Now things mostly work except I am running into a problem with libcrypt calling
a routine that is in another shared library that does exist... and I am trying
to trace what is going on.  I thought I would take a break and ask for some
help.

I am thinking that I should probably installed the source version, but I am not
sure how many hassles that will be.

Any further insights?

Regards,
Frank Shim
fshim@cawthra.com

Re: [PORTS] Onto a Caldera 2.2 distro

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Francis K Shim wrote:
> I managed to get the RPM package of postgresql for RedHat installed onto
> Caldera's 2.2 distro.  I had to do a few guessing to resolve some *real*
> dependency problems by downloading other RPMs for missing programs and
> libraries, but there were several depencies that were *misleading*.  For
> example, I had the library "libc.so.6", but kpackage/rpm reported it as
> missing.  What I ended up doing is just ignoring the depencies that were
> *false*.  My guess is that RPMs are looking in the RPM database for specific
> RPM groups for where the packages or files are reported as being installed;
> hence, an RPM destined for a Redhat distro may have a different
> database groupings compared to groupings for a Caldera distro.

Well, actually it's a little more complicated than that.  The book
'Maximum RPM' goes into detail about how dependencies are calculated,
getting down in great detail.  You didn't say whether you got the RedHat
5.2 or RedHat 6.1 version of the RPM's.  You'd need to determine which
glibc 2.x Caldera 2.2 uses -- IIRC, it's glibc 2.0.  The kernel version
is not as important as the glibc version, as the RPMs built against
glibc 2.1 are almost guaranteed to not work right on a glibc 2.0 system.

IIRC, Caldera 2.2 is kernel 2.2, glibc 2.0.  RH 5.2 is kernel 2.0, glibc
2.0, and RH 6.1 is kernel 2.2, glibc 2.1.

> I did, however, had to install "chkconfig" since my Caldera distribution did
> not have it and the libraries libtermcap and libcrypt.

Hmmmm... Caldera doesn't ship libtermcap and libcrypt?  Where did you
get the missing libs -- RedHat RPMs, or Caldera RPMs?  And, yes,
chkconfig is a handy little RedHat-only program (actually was written by
the RedHat guys!) that is used to add the initscript to the appropriate
(for RedHat) rcX.d.

> Now things mostly work except I am running into a problem with libcrypt calling
> a routine that is in another shared library that does exist...

The 'false' dependencies you mentioned above just bit.

> I am thinking that I should probably installed the source version, but I am not
> sure how many hassles that will be.

If you have a complete C and C++ development system, with perl, tcl/tk,
X11, and the python development libraries installed (the dev libs for
ALL of those packages, not just those packages), then you should be able
to 'rpm --rebuild postgresql-version.src.rpm' -- there probably will be
issues that will arise (which I will attempt to help you with).

Once the build is successful, look under /usr/src for a packages, or RPM
directory.  Under that directory, you should see the dirs SPECS, BUILD,
RPMS, SRPMS, and SOURCES.  Under RPMS, you will find architecture dirs
(such as i386, alpha, i686....).  Under one of those dirs will be the
built binary RPMS.

The src.rpm has been successfully rebuilt under SuSE 6.2, so it
shouldn't be too much of a stretch to build it under Caldera.

Let me know what else you find, as I don't have access to a Caldera box.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [PORTS] Onto a Caldera 2.2 distro

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I am thinking that I should probably installed the source version, but I am not
> sure how many hassles that will be.
> Any further insights?

It is A Good Thing to work this out, but it is probably easier in the
short run to install from sources. Otherwise, you may want to become
the Caldera RPM maintainer ;)

                   - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [PORTS] Onto a Caldera 2.2 distro

От
Francis K Shim
Дата:
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> Well, actually it's a little more complicated than that.  The book
> 'Maximum RPM' goes into detail about how dependencies are calculated,
> getting down in great detail.  You didn't say whether you got the RedHat
> 5.2 or RedHat 6.1 version of the RPM's.  You'd need to determine which
> glibc 2.x Caldera 2.2 uses -- IIRC, it's glibc 2.0.  The kernel version
> is not as important as the glibc version, as the RPMs built against
> glibc 2.1 are almost guaranteed to not work right on a glibc 2.0 system.

Thanks for the tip on the book title "Maximum RPM".  That is the third time I
have seen that title and I am assuming it must be a great resource.  I will
pick up a copy.

I got "postgresql-6.4.2-6.i386.rpm", but I cannot remember if it was destined
for RH 5.2 or 6.1.  My guess is that it might have been 6.1.  The only reason
is because I do remember seeing both "GLIBC_2.0" and "GLIBC_2.1" being
quoted in the "unsatisfied depencies" list.  My Caldera glibc version is 2.1-3,
so I am not sure that versioning is the issue, but more an issue with the way
the RPM package and database setup.

> IIRC, Caldera 2.2 is kernel 2.2, glibc 2.0.  RH 5.2 is kernel 2.0, glibc
> 2.0, and RH 6.1 is kernel 2.2, glibc 2.1.
>
> > I did, however, had to install "chkconfig" since my Caldera distribution did
> > not have it and the libraries libtermcap and libcrypt.
>
> Hmmmm... Caldera doesn't ship libtermcap and libcrypt?  Where did you
> get the missing libs -- RedHat RPMs, or Caldera RPMs?  And, yes,
> chkconfig is a handy little RedHat-only program (actually was written by
> the RedHat guys!) that is used to add the initscript to the appropriate
> (for RedHat) rcX.d.

Believe it or not... neither!  I know, I know... it is asking for more trouble
:-/ , but what I got was "libtermcap-2.0.8-17cl.i386.rpm" a Conectiva version
and "libcrypt1-shared-1.0-5.i386.rpm" a S.u.S.E. 5.3 modified version.  I was
curious about whether "i386" packages/libraries would be compatible and
got a little carried away.  By this time, I became convinced that if I wanted to
learn about the PostgreSQL database package, I will have to learn about the RPM
software package database. It won't hurt except in the time it might take.

> > Now things mostly work except I am running into a problem with libcrypt calling
> > a routine that is in another shared library that does exist...
>
> The 'false' dependencies you mentioned above just bit.

Ouch!  It sure did.  I can run pgsql, but not pgaccess.  I am hoping that shared
libraries are handled smartly by kpackage and RPM when installing, although it
did stop complaining (ie: unsatisfied dependencies) once I installed the
libcrypt package.

> > I am thinking that I should probably installed the source version, but I am not
> > sure how many hassles that will be.
>
> If you have a complete C and C++ development system, with perl, tcl/tk,
> X11, and the python development libraries installed (the dev libs for
> ALL of those packages, not just those packages), then you should be able
> to 'rpm --rebuild postgresql-version.src.rpm' -- there probably will be
> issues that will arise (which I will attempt to help you with).

Thanks!  I look forward to trying this out!  Hopefully, Caldera has a complete
set of development libraries.  I installed all the packages that it had to
offer from the CD (ie: that is I selected that "all packages" option in
Caldera's own installation menu).

> Once the build is successful, look under /usr/src for a packages, or RPM
> directory.  Under that directory, you should see the dirs SPECS, BUILD,
> RPMS, SRPMS, and SOURCES.  Under RPMS, you will find architecture dirs
> (such as i386, alpha, i686....).  Under one of those dirs will be the
> built binary RPMS.
>
> The src.rpm has been successfully rebuilt under SuSE 6.2, so it
> shouldn't be too much of a stretch to build it under Caldera.
>
> Let me know what else you find, as I don't have access to a Caldera box.

Will do!  Thanks for your help and I will be in touch.

Regards,
Frank Shim
fshim@cawthra.com