Обсуждение: initdb problem

initdb problem

От
"Alex Oboimov"
Дата:
Dear sirs,
Following advice of Marc Fournier I'm turning to you with the problem:
after successful install of PostgreSQL v.6.4 initdb finishes with the
message:

ERROR: pg_atoi: error in "template1":can't parse "template1"

The last lines in initdb.log are:

Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -Q template1 <
/tmp/create.735
initdb: could not log template database
initdb: cleaning up.

Without creating template1 I cannot start postmaster, do regression tests
and further createdb and so on.
Perhaps my RedHat 5.1 system contains old libraries from previous version
of Postgres. I guess I should delete or rename them. But which ones?

Can you help me?

Regards,
         Alex Oboimov

Re: initdb problem

От
Tulassay Zsolt
Дата:
Jason Tishler wrote:
> Note that with cygipc 1.09 and later (thanks to Fred), ipc-daemon can
> be installed as an NT service.  Once ipc-daemon is installed as such,
> it is automatically started when NT is booted.  Since I always install
> ipc-daemon as a service, I have little motivation to track down this
> hang. However, I hope not to discourage anyone else from finding the
> cause of the hang and fixing it.

Well, ipc-daemon does not work for me as an NT service. (on Win2K)
It looks as if it started up fine, but instead it just silently eats up
memory and CPU power. However it seems to start correctly when using the
'classic' way.

But my problem is with initdb failing to start. it says:
zsolt@ZSOLT:~ $ initdb
bash: /usr/bin/initdb: No such file or directory
zsolt@ZSOLT:~ $

I wondered if this happens because I don't have all the cygwin packages
installed, but only a few of them.

And when I tried to connect with psql to a PG6.5 database running on a
linux box, and it seemed to work, but I could not get the tables listing,
and none of the SELECT queries returned any rows:

zsolt=# \d
zsolt=# \d logtable
ERROR:  No such function 'format_type' with the specified attributes
zsolt=# select * from logtable;
zsolt=#

Now what causes THAT?
(I have used PG on linux for a long time, but this is the first time
 I tried to run it on NT / Win2K)

TIA,
Zsolt Tulassay

Re: initdb problem

От
Tulassay Zsolt
Дата:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Tulassay Zsolt wrote:
> But my problem is with initdb failing to start. it says:
> zsolt@ZSOLT:~ $ initdb
> bash: /usr/bin/initdb: No such file or directory
> zsolt@ZSOLT:~ $
>
> I wondered if this happens because I don't have all the cygwin packages
> installed, but only a few of them.

answering myself, it was just my stupidness.
I had no /bin/sh on cygwin so initdb couldn't even start
(I didn't even know before that initdb is a shell script...)

anyway, the other two questions still remain a mystery for me

Zsolt

Re: initdb problem

От
Tulassay Zsolt
Дата:
Jason Tishler wrote:
> Note that with cygipc 1.09 and later (thanks to Fred), ipc-daemon can
> be installed as an NT service.  Once ipc-daemon is installed as such,
> it is automatically started when NT is booted.  Since I always install
> ipc-daemon as a service, I have little motivation to track down this
> hang. However, I hope not to discourage anyone else from finding the
> cause of the hang and fixing it.

Well, ipc-daemon does not work for me as an NT service. (on Win2K)
It looks as if it started up fine, but instead it just silently eats up
memory and CPU power. However it seems to start correctly when using the
'classic' way.

But my problem is with initdb failing to start. it says:
zsolt@ZSOLT:~ $ initdb
bash: /usr/bin/initdb: No such file or directory
zsolt@ZSOLT:~ $

I wondered if this happens because I don't have all the cygwin packages
installed, but only a few of them.

And when I tried to connect with psql to a PG6.5 database running on a
linux box, and it seemed to work, but I could not get the tables listing,
and none of the SELECT queries returned any rows:

zsolt=# \d
zsolt=# \d logtable
ERROR:  No such function 'format_type' with the specified attributes
zsolt=# select * from logtable;
zsolt=#

Now what causes THAT?
(I have used PG on linux for a long time, but this is the first time
 I tried to run it on NT / Win2K)

TIA,
Zsolt Tulassay

Re: Re: initdb problem

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Zsolt,

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 06:05:27PM +0200, Tulassay Zsolt wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> > Note that with cygipc 1.09 and later (thanks to Fred), ipc-daemon can
> > be installed as an NT service.  Once ipc-daemon is installed as such,
> > it is automatically started when NT is booted.  Since I always install
> > ipc-daemon as a service, I have little motivation to track down this
> > hang. However, I hope not to discourage anyone else from finding the
> > cause of the hang and fixing it.
>
> Well, ipc-daemon does not work for me as an NT service. (on Win2K)
> It looks as if it started up fine, but instead it just silently eats up
> memory and CPU power. However it seems to start correctly when using the
> 'classic' way.

Moved to pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org...

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235