Обсуждение: How to upgrade Centos 4.3 to PHP 5.1 and Postgresql 8.1

How to upgrade Centos 4.3 to PHP 5.1 and Postgresql 8.1

От
Richmond Dyes
Дата:
I am having a hard time upgrading my Centos 4.2 server to use PHP 5.1
and Postgresql 8.1.  Has anyone done this?

Re: How to upgrade Centos 4.3 to PHP 5.1 and Postgresql 8.1

От
Chris
Дата:
Richmond Dyes wrote:
> I am having a hard time upgrading my Centos 4.2 server to use PHP 5.1
> and Postgresql 8.1.  Has anyone done this?

That's based on redhat or fedora isn't it (can't remember which)...

Are you using the packages or compiling your own source?

What problems are you having exactly?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

On 7/27/06, Chris <dmagick@gmail.com> wrote:
Richmond Dyes wrote:
> I am having a hard time upgrading my Centos 4.2 server to use PHP 5.1
> and Postgresql 8.1.  Has anyone done this?

That's based on redhat or fedora isn't it (can't remember which)...

Are you using the packages or compiling your own source?

What problems are you having exactly?
It is based on  Redhat AS4. I tried to upgrade it using the rpms and I can't get the php to upgrade the server.  So I wiped it and am starting all over again. I would rather use rpms
--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: How to upgrade Centos 4.3 to PHP 5.1 and Postgresql 8.1

От
Chris
Дата:
Richmond Dyes wrote:

> On 7/27/06, *Chris* <dmagick@gmail.com <mailto:dmagick@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Richmond Dyes wrote:
>      > I am having a hard time upgrading my Centos 4.2 server to use PHP 5.1
>      > and Postgresql 8.1.  Has anyone done this?
>
>     That's based on redhat or fedora isn't it (can't remember which)...
>
>     Are you using the packages or compiling your own source?
>
>     What problems are you having exactly?
>     It is based on  Redhat AS4. I tried to upgrade it using the rpms and
>     I can't get the php to upgrade the server.  So I wiped it and am
>     starting all over again. I would rather use rpms

and the errors are.... ??

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: How to upgrade Centos 4.3 to PHP 5.1 and Postgresql 8.1

От
"Richmond Dyes"
Дата:
That's the problem.  There are no errors persay.  That's why I am looking for basic instructions on how to get that upgrade done with rpm's from someone who has done it.

On 7/28/06, Chris <dmagick@gmail.com> wrote:
Richmond Dyes wrote:

> On 7/27/06, *Chris* <dmagick@gmail.com <mailto:dmagick@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Richmond Dyes wrote:
>      > I am having a hard time upgrading my Centos 4.2 server to use PHP 5.1
>      > and Postgresql 8.1.  Has anyone done this?
>
>     That's based on redhat or fedora isn't it (can't remember which)...
>
>     Are you using the packages or compiling your own source?
>
>     What problems are you having exactly?
>     It is based on  Redhat AS4. I tried to upgrade it using the rpms and
>     I can't get the php to upgrade the server.  So I wiped it and am
>     starting all over again. I would rather use rpms

and the errors are.... ??

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: How to upgrade Centos 4.3 to PHP 5.1 and Postgresql 8.1

От
Chris
Дата:
Richmond Dyes wrote:
> That's the problem.  There are no errors persay.  That's why I am
> looking for basic instructions on how to get that upgrade done with
> rpm's from someone who has done it.

Assuming you have downloaded the rpm's. Don't know if CentOS has a "yum"
or "apt" type program that will handle that for you.

What version of postgresql are you upgrading from? If it's from 8.1.X to
8.1.Y then this will work:

Take a database dump as a backup.

Stop postgresql:

/etc/init.d/postgresql stop

update the rpms:

rpm -Fvh postgresql-*

Start postgresql:

/etc/init.d/postgresql start

If you are doing from 8.0.X to 8.1.Y then you need to:

Take a database dump as a backup.

Copy or zip your existing files (/var/lib/pgsql/data) somewhere safe.

Stop postgresql:

/etc/init.d/postgresql stop

update the rpms:

rpm -Fvh postgresql-*

rm -rf /var/lib/pgsql/data or where-ever your postgresql data files are.
Of course your backup is somewhere else!

Start postgresql:

/etc/init.d/postgresql start

(that should handle doing an 'initdb')

import your backup:

su - postgres
psql < /path/to/your/database.dump.file

If you have made any changes to the postgresql.conf file or pg_hba.conf
file then you'll need to copy those back from your backup as well.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I have missed any steps.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: How to upgrade Centos 4.3 to PHP 5.1 and Postgresql 8.1

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 11:30 -0400, Richmond Dyes wrote:
> That's the problem.  There are no errors persay.  That's why I am
> looking for basic instructions on how to get that upgrade done with
> rpm's from someone who has done it.

No way actually. PHP will depend on Apache, Apache will depend on some
other binaries... So an RPM upgrade will either likely break many
things, or take too much time to rebuild each RPM.

So, the easy way is to install PHP5 from sources or use Fedora Core 5. I
don't know RHEL 5 (so CentOS 5) schedule yet, but it will have PHP 5.

To compile PHP5 from sources, first install httpd-devel rpm.