Обсуждение: parse/bind/execute

parse/bind/execute

От
"Huang, Suya"

Hello,

I am using Pgbadger to analyze the postgresql database log recently and noticed a section “Prepared queries ratio”. For my report, it has:

1.03 as Ratio of bind vs prepare

0.12% Ratio between prepared and “usual” statements

I’m trying to understand what the above metrics mean and if it’s a problem. I found people can clearly clarify the parse/bind/execute time of a query. To my limited knowledge of Postgres, using explain analyze, I can only get the total execution time.

Can someone shed me some light on this subject? How to interpret the ratios?

Thanks,

Suya

Re: parse/bind/execute

От
David G Johnston
Дата:
Huang, Suya wrote
> Hello,
>
> I am using Pgbadger to analyze the postgresql database log recently and
> noticed a section "Prepared queries ratio". For my report, it has:
>
> 1.03 as Ratio of bind vs prepare
> 0.12% Ratio between prepared and "usual" statements
>
> I'm trying to understand what the above metrics mean and if it's a
> problem. I found people can clearly clarify the parse/bind/execute time of
> a query. To my limited knowledge of Postgres, using explain analyze, I can
> only get the total execution time.
>
> Can someone shed me some light on this subject? How to interpret the
> ratios?
>
> Thanks,
> Suya

Both are related to using prepared statements (usually with parameters).
Each bind is a use of an already prepared query with parameters filled in.
The prepare is the initial preparation of the query.  A ratio of 1 means
that each time you prepare a query you use it once then throw it away.
Likewise a value of 2 would mean you are executing each prepared statement
twice.

"Usual" statements are those that are not prepared.  The ratio is simply the
counts of each as seen by the database - I do not know specifics as to what
exactly is counted (ddl?).

That low a ratio means that almost all statements you send to the database
are non-prepared.  In those relatively few cases where you do prepare first
you almost always immediately execute a single set of inputs then discard
the prepared statement.

I do not know enough about the underlying data to draw a conclusion but
typically the higher the bind/prepare ratio the more efficient your use of
database resources.  Same goes for the prepare ratio.  The clients you use
and the general usage of the database heavily influence what would be
considered reasonable ratios.

David J.

Re: parse/bind/execute

От
"Huang, Suya"
Дата:
Thank you David, I copied the detailed activity from the report as below. As it shows, it has prepare and bind queries.
One of the item has Bind/Prepare pretty high as 439.50. so that looks like a good value?

Another question is if bind only happens in a prepared statement?

Day     Hour     Prepare     Bind     Bind/Prepare     Percentage of prepare
Jun 03     00     205     209     1.02     1.27%
      01     19     19     1.00     0.17%
      02     0     0     0.00     0.00%
      03     0     0     0.00     0.00%
      04     6     6     1.00     0.00%
      05     2     879     439.50     0.02%
      06     839     1,323     1.58     7.01%
      07     0     0     0.00     0.00%

Thanks,
Suya
> I am using Pgbadger to analyze the postgresql database log recently
> and noticed a section "Prepared queries ratio". For my report, it has:
>
> 1.03 as Ratio of bind vs prepare
> 0.12% Ratio between prepared and "usual" statements
>
> I'm trying to understand what the above metrics mean and if it's a
> problem. I found people can clearly clarify the parse/bind/execute
> time of a query. To my limited knowledge of Postgres, using explain
> analyze, I can only get the total execution time.
>
> Can someone shed me some light on this subject? How to interpret the
> ratios?
>
> Thanks,
> Suya

Both are related to using prepared statements (usually with parameters).
Each bind is a use of an already prepared query with parameters filled in.
The prepare is the initial preparation of the query.  A ratio of 1 means that each time you prepare a query you use it
oncethen throw it away.
Likewise a value of 2 would mean you are executing each prepared statement twice.

"Usual" statements are those that are not prepared.  The ratio is simply the counts of each as seen by the database - I
donot know specifics as to what exactly is counted (ddl?).

That low a ratio means that almost all statements you send to the database are non-prepared.  In those relatively few
caseswhere you do prepare first you almost always immediately execute a single set of inputs then discard the prepared
statement.

I do not know enough about the underlying data to draw a conclusion but typically the higher the bind/prepare ratio the
moreefficient your use of database resources.  Same goes for the prepare ratio.  The clients you use and the general
usageof the database heavily influence what would be considered reasonable ratios.

David J.

Re: parse/bind/execute

От
David Johnston
Дата:
Please do not top-posts on these lists.

Thank you David, I copied the detailed activity from the report as below. As it shows, it has prepare and bind queries.  One of the item has Bind/Prepare pretty high as 439.50. so that looks like a good value?

Another question is if bind only happens in a prepared statement?

Day     Hour    Prepare         Bind    Bind/Prepare    Percentage of prepare
Jun 03  00      205     209     1.02    1.27%
        01      19      19      1.00    0.17%
        02      0       0       0.00    0.00%
        03      0       0       0.00    0.00%
        04      6       6       1.00    0.00%
        05      2       879     439.50  0.02%
        06      839     1,323   1.58    7.01%
        07      0       0       0.00    0.00%

Yes. Something that high usual involves batch inserting into a table.  To be honest, a global picture is of limited value for this very reason.  Representing all of your usage as a single number is problematic.  Breaking it down by hour as done here increases the likelihood of seeing something useful but typically that would be by chance.  In this case because batch processing is done in the early morning and few users are probably on the system (a common source of one-off statements) the numbers here are dominated by the special case of bulk inserts and are not typical of normal activity and performance.

David J.