Обсуждение: Speed of exist

Speed of exist

От
Bastiaan Olij
Дата:
Hi All,

Hope someone can help me a little bit here:

I've got a query like the following:
--
select Column1, Column2, Column3
from Table1

Looking at the query plan it is doing a sequential scan on both Table2
and Table3.

If I remove one of the subqueries and turn the query into:
--
select Column1, Column2, Column3
from Table1
where exists (select 1 from Table2 where Table2.ForeignKey =
Table1.PrimaryKey)
--

It is nicely doing an index scan on the index that is on Table2.ForeignKey.

As Table2 and Table3 are rather large the first query takes minutes
while the second query takes 18ms.

Is there a way to speed this up or an alternative way of selecting
records from Table1 which have related records in Table2 or Table3 which
is faster?

Kindest Regards,

Bastiaan Olij

Re: Speed of exist

От
Andy
Дата:
Limit the sub-queries to 1, i.e. :

select 1 from Table2 where Table2.ForeignKey = Table1.PrimaryKey fetch first 1 rows only

Andy.

On 19.02.2013 07:34, Bastiaan Olij wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Hope someone can help me a little bit here:
>
> I've got a query like the following:
> --
> select Column1, Column2, Column3
> from Table1
> where exists (select 1 from Table2 where Table2.ForeignKey =
> Table1.PrimaryKey)
> or exists (select 1 from Table3 where Table3.ForeignKey = Table1.PrimaryKey)
> --
>
> Looking at the query plan it is doing a sequential scan on both Table2
> and Table3.
>
> If I remove one of the subqueries and turn the query into:
> --
> select Column1, Column2, Column3
> from Table1
> where exists (select 1 from Table2 where Table2.ForeignKey =
> Table1.PrimaryKey)
> --
>
> It is nicely doing an index scan on the index that is on Table2.ForeignKey.
>
> As Table2 and Table3 are rather large the first query takes minutes
> while the second query takes 18ms.
>
> Is there a way to speed this up or an alternative way of selecting
> records from Table1 which have related records in Table2 or Table3 which
> is faster?
>
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Bastiaan Olij

*Andy Gumbrecht*
Research & Development
Orpro Vision GmbH
Hefehof 24, 31785, Hameln

+49 (0) 5151 809 44 21
+49 (0) 1704 305 671
andy.gumbrecht@orprovision.com
www.orprovision.com

            Orpro Vision GmbH
            Sitz der Gesellschaft: 31785, Hameln
            USt-Id-Nr: DE264453214
            Amtsgericht Hannover HRB204336
            Geschaeftsfuehrer: Roberto Gatti, Massimo Gatti, Adam Shaw

            Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige
            Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und
            vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren, jegliche anderweitige Verwendung sowie die unbefugte

            This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient
            (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any
            unauthorized copying, disclosure, distribution or other use of the material or parts thereof is strictly
            forbidden.

Re: Speed of exist

От
Bastiaan Olij
Дата:
Hi Andy,

I've tried that with the same result. One subquery works beautifully,
two subqueries with an OR and it starts to do a sequential scan...

Thanks,

Bastiaan Olij

On 19/02/13 6:31 PM, Andy wrote:
> Limit the sub-queries to 1, i.e. :
>
> select 1 from Table2 where Table2.ForeignKey = Table1.PrimaryKey fetch
> first 1 rows only
>
> Andy.
>
> On 19.02.2013 07:34, Bastiaan Olij wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Hope someone can help me a little bit here:
>>
>> I've got a query like the following:
>> --
>> select Column1, Column2, Column3
>> from Table1
>> where exists (select 1 from Table2 where Table2.ForeignKey =
>> Table1.PrimaryKey)
>> or exists (select 1 from Table3 where Table3.ForeignKey =
>> Table1.PrimaryKey)
>> --
>>
>> Looking at the query plan it is doing a sequential scan on both Table2
>> and Table3.
>>
>> If I remove one of the subqueries and turn the query into:
>> --
>> select Column1, Column2, Column3
>> from Table1
>> where exists (select 1 from Table2 where Table2.ForeignKey =
>> Table1.PrimaryKey)
>> --
>>
>> It is nicely doing an index scan on the index that is on
>> Table2.ForeignKey.
>>
>> As Table2 and Table3 are rather large the first query takes minutes
>> while the second query takes 18ms.
>>
>> Is there a way to speed this up or an alternative way of selecting
>> records from Table1 which have related records in Table2 or Table3 which
>> is faster?
>>
>> Kindest Regards,
>>
>> Bastiaan Olij

Re: Speed of exist

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
2013/2/19 Bastiaan Olij <bastiaan@basenlily.me>:
> Hi Andy,
>
> I've tried that with the same result. One subquery works beautifully,
> two subqueries with an OR and it starts to do a sequential scan...

try to rewrite OR to two SELECTs joined by UNION ALL

Pavel

> Thanks,
>
> Bastiaan Olij
>
> On 19/02/13 6:31 PM, Andy wrote:
>> Limit the sub-queries to 1, i.e. :
>>
>> select 1 from Table2 where Table2.ForeignKey = Table1.PrimaryKey fetch
>> first 1 rows only
>>
>> Andy.
>>
>> On 19.02.2013 07:34, Bastiaan Olij wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Hope someone can help me a little bit here:
>>>
>>> I've got a query like the following:
>>> --
>>> select Column1, Column2, Column3
>>> from Table1
>>> where exists (select 1 from Table2 where Table2.ForeignKey =
>>> Table1.PrimaryKey)
>>> or exists (select 1 from Table3 where Table3.ForeignKey =
>>> Table1.PrimaryKey)
>>> --
>>>
>>> Looking at the query plan it is doing a sequential scan on both Table2
>>> and Table3.
>>>
>>> If I remove one of the subqueries and turn the query into:
>>> --
>>> select Column1, Column2, Column3
>>> from Table1
>>> where exists (select 1 from Table2 where Table2.ForeignKey =
>>> Table1.PrimaryKey)
>>> --
>>>
>>> It is nicely doing an index scan on the index that is on
>>> Table2.ForeignKey.
>>>
>>> As Table2 and Table3 are rather large the first query takes minutes
>>> while the second query takes 18ms.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to speed this up or an alternative way of selecting
>>> records from Table1 which have related records in Table2 or Table3 which
>>> is faster?
>>>
>>> Kindest Regards,
>>>
>>> Bastiaan Olij

Re: Speed of exist

От
Bastiaan Olij
Дата:
Hi Pavel,

That is what I've done in this particular case but there are parts where
I use exist checks in this way that are very cumbersome to write out
like that so I'm hoping there is a way to make the optimizer work with
existence checks in this way.

Cheers,

Bastiaan Olij