Обсуждение: What about implementing a bitmap index? Any use cases?

What about implementing a bitmap index? Any use cases?

От
Stefan Keller
Дата:
Hi,

I know there exist Bitmap Index Scan and Bitmap Heap Scan in Postgres.
What about implementing a bitmap index for explicit use (CREATE INDEX ...)?
Any use cases?
Bitmap indexes work best on values with low cardinality (categorical
data), would be efficient in space and ready for logic operations.

Stefan

P.S. Disclaimer (referring to my other thread about Hash): I'm not a
btree opposer :-> I'm just evaluating index alternatives.

Re: What about implementing a bitmap index? Any use cases?

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 18 September 2011 20:45, Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know there exist Bitmap Index Scan and Bitmap Heap Scan in Postgres.
> What about implementing a bitmap index for explicit use (CREATE INDEX ...)?
> Any use cases?
> Bitmap indexes work best on values with low cardinality (categorical
> data), would be efficient in space and ready for logic operations.
>
> Stefan
>
> P.S. Disclaimer (referring to my other thread about Hash): I'm not a
> btree opposer :-> I'm just evaluating index alternatives.

Search the pgsql-hackers archives to read about an unsuccessful
attempt to introduce on-disk bitmap indexes to Postgres.