Обсуждение: Variable versus constrant size tuples

Variable versus constrant size tuples

От
Krzysztof Chodak
Дата:
Is there any performance benefit of using constant size tuples?

Re: Variable versus constrant size tuples

От
Andy Colson
Дата:
On 8/19/2011 4:03 AM, Krzysztof Chodak wrote:
> Is there any performance benefit of using constant size tuples?

If you are referring to varchar(80) vs text, then no, there is no benefit.

-Andy

Re: Variable versus constrant size tuples

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:03 AM, Krzysztof Chodak
<krzysztof.chodak@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any performance benefit of using constant size tuples?

not really.  If your tuple size is under a known maximum length, then
a toast table doesn't have to be created.  that's a pretty minor
detail though.

merlin

Re: Variable versus constrant size tuples

От
Krzysztof Chodak
Дата:
Thank you. Now I see that page consists of record pointers list build
from offset and length so there is no benefit of having constant
length here.