Обсуждение: Which Join is better

Which Join is better

От
Adarsh Sharma
Дата:
Dear all,

Just want to know which join is better for querying data faster.

I have 2 tables A ( 70 GB ) & B ( 7 MB )

A has 10 columns & B has 3 columns.Indexes exist on both tables's ids.

select p.* from table A p, B q where p.id=q.id

or

select p.* from table B q , A p where q.id=p.id

Thanks

Re: Which Join is better

От
Szymon Guz

Just want to know which join is better for querying data faster.

I have 2 tables A ( 70 GB ) & B ( 7 MB )

A has 10 columns & B has 3 columns.Indexes exist on both tables's ids.

select p.* from table A p, B q where p.id=q.id

or

select p.* from table B q , A p where q.id=p.id

Hi,
it really doesn't matter. PostgreSQL can reorder the joins as it likes.
And you can always check, but I think the plans will be the same.

regards
Szymon

Re: Which Join is better

От
Maria Arias de Reyna
Дата:
El Martes 02 Agosto 2011, Adarsh Sharma escribió:
> Dear all,
>
> Just want to know which join is better for querying data faster.
>
> I have 2 tables A ( 70 GB ) & B ( 7 MB )
>
> A has 10 columns & B has 3 columns.Indexes exist on both tables's ids.
>
> select p.* from table A p, B q where p.id=q.id
>
> or
>
> select p.* from table B q , A p where q.id=p.id
>

> Thanks

Hi Adarsh,

What does a "EXPLAIN ANALYZE" say after a VACCUM?

--
María Arias de Reyna Domínguez
Área de Operaciones

Emergya Consultoría
Tfno: +34 954 51 75 77 / +34 607 43 74 27
Fax: +34 954 51 64 73
www.emergya.es

Re: Which Join is better

От
lars hofhansl
Дата:
Unless you use the explicit join syntax:

select p.* from A p join B q on (p.id = q.id)

and also set  join_collapse_limit= 1
The order of the joins is determined by the planner.

Also explain is your friend :)