Обсуждение: UNION and bad performance

UNION and bad performance

От
Olivier Pala
Дата:
Hi,

I have a performance trouble with UNION query

First I have this view :

    SELECT a,b,c FROM table1, table2 WHERE jointure AND condition

    Result :
150 000 records in 1~2 s

Then, I adding an UNION into the same view :

    SELECT a,b,c FROM table1, table2 WHERE jointure AND condition
    UNION
    SELECT a,b,c FROM table3

    Result :
150 200 records in 6~7 s

Why, do I have bad performance only for 200 adding records ?

Thanks

SGBD : Postgres 8.3 et 8.4

Re: UNION and bad performance

От
"Marc Mamin"

Hello,

UNION will remove all duplicates, so that the result additionally requires to be sorted.

Anyway,  for performance issues, you should always start investigation with explain analyze .

regards,

Marc Mamin

I have a performance trouble with UNION query

First I have this view :

    SELECT a,b,c FROM table1, table2 WHERE jointure AND condition

    Result : 150 000 records in 1~2 s

Then, I adding an UNION into the same view :

    SELECT a,b,c FROM table1, table2 WHERE jointure AND condition
    UNION
    SELECT a,b,c FROM table3

    Result : 150 200 records in 6~7 s

Why, do I have bad performance only for 200 adding records ?

Thanks

SGBD : Postgres 8.3 et 8.4

Re: UNION and bad performance

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Marc Mamin <M.Mamin@intershop.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> UNION will remove all duplicates, so that the result additionally requires to
> be sorted.

Right, to avoid the SORT and UNIQUE - operation you can use UNION ALL

> Anyway,  for performance issues, you should always start investigation with
> explain analyze .

ACK.

    Arguments to support bottom-posting...