Обсуждение: Multicore Postgres 9.0.1 issue - single transaction problem.

Multicore Postgres 9.0.1 issue - single transaction problem.

От
Piotr Czekalski
Дата:
Hello Postgres Users.

Last days I've installed and configured new x64 release of PostgreSQL
running Windows 2008 R2 with dual XEON 5530 processors (2x4xHT = 16
working units). Previously the database was running on Fedora 12 x86_64
under Microsoft hypervisor (HyperV) thus because of the network card
driver limitation there was only one core available.

The problem I'm facing is a very long, single transaction lasting about
12hours or even more (as it doesn't exist Pragma Autonomous Transaction
like Oracle has) that consist of tones of PLPGSQL code, processing a lot
of data, causing huge CPU load and disk drive transfers.
When moved to the x64 system as described above, the shared memory size
is not a problem anymore, the disk channel is running very smoothly, the
only suprising think is that the transaction above utilizes only one
core of the machine - is it possible to parallelize it without rewriting
all the code from scratch?

Is there any configuration parameter limiting number of CPUs? The
release is a standard/public x64 binary of PostgreSQL 9.0.1, taken
following official site.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Piotr Czekalski

"TECHBAZA.PL" Sp. z o.o.
Technologie WEB, eDB&  eCommerce
Oddział Gliwice
ul. Chorzowska 50
44-100 Gliwice
tel. (+4832) 7186081
fax. (+4832) 7003289

Re: Multicore Postgres 9.0.1 issue - single transaction problem.

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Piotr Czekalski <pczekalski@techbaza.pl> wrote:
> Hello Postgres Users.
>
> Last days I've installed and configured new x64 release of PostgreSQL
> running Windows 2008 R2 with dual XEON 5530 processors (2x4xHT = 16 working
> units). Previously the database was running on Fedora 12 x86_64 under
> Microsoft hypervisor (HyperV) thus because of the network card driver
> limitation there was only one core available.
>
> The problem I'm facing is a very long, single transaction lasting about
> 12hours or even more (as it doesn't exist Pragma Autonomous Transaction like
> Oracle has) that consist of tones of PLPGSQL code, processing a lot of data,
> causing huge CPU load and disk drive transfers.
> When moved to the x64 system as described above, the shared memory size is
> not a problem anymore, the disk channel is running very smoothly, the only
> suprising think is that the transaction above utilizes only one core of the
> machine - is it possible to parallelize it without rewriting all the code
> from scratch?

A single connection uses a single CPU.  While there's been some talk
of parallelizing some part of pgsql, nothing I know of has been done.

Is it possible you're doing parts in plpgsql that should really be
done externally / with a batch processing system or hadoop or
something?