Обсуждение: New wiki page on write reliability

New wiki page on write reliability

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Now that some of my recent writing has gone from NDA protected to public
sample, I've added a new page to the PostgreSQL wiki that provides a
good starting set of resources to learn about an ever popular topic
here, how write cache problems can lead to database corruption:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reliable_Writes

Bruce also has a presentation he's been working on that adds pictures
showing the flow of data through the various cache levels, to help
people visualize the whole thing, that should get added into there once
he's finished tweaking it.

I'd like to get some feedback from the members of this list about what's
still missing after this expanded data dump.  Ultimately I'd like to get
this page to be an authoritative enough resource that the "Reliability"
section of the official documentation could point back to this as a
recommendation for additional information.  So much of this material
requires singling out specific vendors and staying up to date with
hardware changes, both things that the official docs are not a good
place for.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us

Re: New wiki page on write reliability

От
Brad Nicholson
Дата:
On 10-10-21 10:08 AM, Greg Smith wrote:
> Now that some of my recent writing has gone from NDA protected to
> public sample, I've added a new page to the PostgreSQL wiki that
> provides a good starting set of resources to learn about an ever
> popular topic here, how write cache problems can lead to database
> corruption:  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reliable_Writes
>
> Bruce also has a presentation he's been working on that adds pictures
> showing the flow of data through the various cache levels, to help
> people visualize the whole thing, that should get added into there
> once he's finished tweaking it.
>
> I'd like to get some feedback from the members of this list about
> what's still missing after this expanded data dump.  Ultimately I'd
> like to get this page to be an authoritative enough resource that the
> "Reliability" section of the official documentation could point back
> to this as a recommendation for additional information.  So much of
> this material requires singling out specific vendors and staying up to
> date with hardware changes, both things that the official docs are not
> a good place for.

Looks like a good start.

I think a warning turning fsync off, the dangers of async_commit, and
the potential problems with disabling full_page_writes might be worth
mentioning on this page, unless you want to leave that buried in the
attached references.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

Re: New wiki page on write reliability

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Brad Nicholson wrote:
> I think a warning turning fsync off, the dangers of async_commit, and
> the potential problems with disabling full_page_writes might be worth
> mentioning on this page, unless you want to leave that buried in the
> attached references.

Good idea to highlight that.  What I just did here was point out which
of the references covered that specific topic, which is as good as I
could do for now.

It's hard for me to justify spending time writing more about those when
they are covered in the attached references, and I personally can't do
it because of my publishing agreement.  The fact that the information
about this topic is what ended up being released as the sample material
from my book is not coincidence--I wanted to be able to share what I'd
done here as a free community resources because this topic is so
important to me.  But I can't go much further than what I've already put
up there myself.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us

Re: New wiki page on write reliability

Дата:
Greg Smith wrote:
> Now that some of my recent writing has gone from NDA protected to public
> sample, I've added a new page to the PostgreSQL wiki that provides a
> good starting set of resources to learn about an ever popular topic
> here, how write cache problems can lead to database corruption:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reliable_Writes
>
> Bruce also has a presentation he's been working on that adds pictures
> showing the flow of data through the various cache levels, to help
> people visualize the whole thing, that should get added into there once
> he's finished tweaking it.

My presentation is done and is now on the wiki too:

    http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/hw_selection.pdf