Обсуждение: Confirm calculus

Confirm calculus

От
Juan Pablo Sandoval Rivera
Дата:
Good morning List

In relation to the process of tuning the engine PostgreSQL database, especially
7.3.7 version that is being used currently, agreaceria me clarify a procedure

If I have a server with 2 GB of RAM, it is said that the shared memory segment for
the engine of the database on a dedicated server should be between 25% and maximum 33% of the RAM.

I'm doing the calculation would be the next agradeze I confirm if I am
correct

1 MB = 1,048,576
  * 2 = 2097152 1048576
25% would be 2097152 * 25 / 100 = 524288
Then the shared_buffers should be 524288 / 8 = 65536 for 25% of 2 GB
or should be 524 288?

Sincerely.

Juan Pablo Sandoval Rivera
Tecnologo Prof. en Ing. de Sistemas

Linux User : 322765
msn    : juan_pablos@hotmail.com
yahoo : juan_pablos@rocketmail.com (juan_pablos.rm)
UIN     : 276125187 (ICQ)
Jabber : juan_pablos@www.jabberES.org
Skype  : juan.pablo.sandoval.rivera

APOYA A ECOSEARCH.COM - Ayuda a salvar al Planeta.

Re: Confirm calculus

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Juan Pablo Sandoval Rivera <juapabsan@tutopia.com> wrote:

> In relation to the process of tuning the engine PostgreSQL
> database, especially 7.3.7 version that is being used currently,

Do you really mean PostgreSQL version 7.3.7 (not 8.3.7)?  If so, you
should really consider upgrading.  Performance is going to be much
better, not to mention all the new features and bug fixes.

> it is said that the shared memory segment for the engine of the
> database on a dedicated server should be between 25% and maximum
> 33% of the RAM.

I think that started being a recommended practice with 8.1 or 8.2;
in my limited experience with older versions, it didn't pay to go
beyond somewhere in the 100MB to 200MB range.

-Kevin

Re: Confirm calculus

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Juan Pablo Sandoval Rivera
<juapabsan@tutopia.com> wrote:
> Good morning List
>
> In relation to the process of tuning the engine PostgreSQL database, especially
> 7.3.7 version that is being used currently, agreaceria me clarify a procedure

I concur with the other poster on keeping shared_mem lower on this
older version.  Also, you should be running at the very least the
latest version of 7.3, which is 7.3.21 and available here:

ftp://ftp-archives.postgresql.org/pub/source/

Tuning 7.3 is more an effort in futility at this point, considering
that a non-tuned 8.3 or 8.4 install will still be much much faster.
If the lack of auto-casts in 8.3 impacts you negatively then at least
look at 8.2.latest.