Обсуждение: Fwd: Dead lock

Fwd: Dead lock

От
Elias Ghanem
Дата:
Hi,
Actually i guess the problem is related to the way PG uses to aquire lock on the rows that will be updated.
Suppose the update query will affect 5 rows: A, B, C, D and E.
Apparently the folowing senario is happening:
    1- Transaction1 locks row A
    2- Trnasaction2 locks row B
    3- Transaction1 updates row A
    4- Tranasaction2 updates row B
    5- Transaction1 tries to acquire lock on row B(and fail because row B is still locked by transaction2)
    6- Transaction2 tries to acquire lock on row A(and fail because row A is still locked by transaction1)
Hence the dead lock.
Is this a plausible explanation of what is going on?
If yes, what can be done to avoid the dead lock?
Thanks again.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Dead lock
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:50:43 +0300
From: Elias Ghanem <e.ghanem@acteos.com>
To: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org

Hi all,
I have 2 data bases trying to perform an update query at the same time on a same table in a third data base using db link.
I'm getting a dead lock exception:
ERROR:  deadlock detected
DETAIL:  Process 27305 waits for ShareLock on transaction 55575; blocked by process 27304.
Process 27304 waits for ShareLock on transaction 55576; blocked by process 27305.
HINT:  See server log for query details.
Actually the folowing function is installed on 2 dbs DB1 and DB2. This function issues an update query on DB3.
When this function is running simultaneously on DB1 and DB2, it produces a dead lock making one of the functions (in DB1 or DB2) stop with the above exception:
Is it normal? should'nt postgres be able to handle such situations, for ex:  let one transaction wait untill the other commits or rollback then continue with the first transaction?
Is there a parameter that should be set in postgresql.conf to allow handling of concurrent transaction...?

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION TEST_DB_LINK(VARCHAR)
RETURNS VOID AS'
DECLARE
C INTEGER;
P ALIAS FOR $1;
DUMMY  VARCHAR;
BEGIN
    C:= 0;
    LOOP
        EXIT WHEN C > 15;
        C:= C+1;
        SELECT INTO DUMMY DBLINK_EXEC(''CONNECTION_STRING TO DB3', ''UPDATE IN_FICHE_PRODUIT SET VALIDE = 1'');
    RAISE NOTICE ''%, %'', C,P;
    END LOOP;
END;'
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

Thanks for your time.

Re: Fwd: Dead lock

От
Dave Crooke
Дата:
It's a standard (indeed, required) best practice of concurrent database programming across any brand of database to ensure that multi-row transactions always acquire the locks they use in a predictable order based on row identities, e.g. for the classic banking debit-credit pair, doing something like this (Java / JDBC, simplified for brevity and clarity):

PreparedStatement debit = conn.prepareStatement("update account set balance = balance - ? where acc_no = ? and balance > ?");
debit.setLong(1, amount);
debit.setLong(2, debit_acct);
debit.setLong(3, amount);

PreparedStatement credit = conn.prepareStatement("update account set balance = balance + ? where acc_no = ?");
credit.setLong(1, amount);
credit.setLong(2, credit_acct);

try {
   // always acquire row locks in increasing account number order
   conn.beginTransaction();
   if (credit_acct < debit_acct) {
      credit.executeUpdate();
      if (debit.executeUpdate() < 1) throw new SQLException("Insufficient balance");
   }
   else {
      if (debit.executeUpdate() < 1) throw new SQLException("Insufficient balance");
      credit.executeUpdate();
   }
}
catch (SQLException e) {
   System.err.println("Oops. transaction failed: ", e.getMessage());
   conn.rollback();
}
conn.commit();

If you're doing straight SQL bulk updates, then as someone suggested, you could use an ORDER BY on a subquery, but I don't know if that is a guarantee, if you're not actually displaying the results then the DB may be technically allowed to optimize it out from underneath you. The only way to be sure is a cursor / procedure.

In short, this boils down to learning more about database programming. PG is performing as it should.

Cheers
Dave

[...]

Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Dave Crooke <dcrooke@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're doing straight SQL bulk updates, then as someone suggested, you could use an ORDER BY on a subquery, but I
don'tknow if that is a guarantee, if you're not actually displaying the results then the DB may be technically allowed
tooptimize it out from underneath you. The only way to be sure is a cursor / procedure.

'order by' should be safe if you use SELECT...FOR UPDATE.  update
doesn't have an order by clause.   Using cursor/procedure vs a query
is not the material point; you have to make sure locks are acquired in
a regular way.

update foo set x=x where id in (select * from bar order by x) does
look dangerous.

I think:
update foo set x=x where id in (select * from bar order by x for update)
should be ok.  I don't usually do it that way.

merlin