Обсуждение: Performance is low Postgres+Solaris

Performance is low Postgres+Solaris

От
MUNAGALA REDDY
Дата:
Hi All,

We are using solaris 10 x86/AMD Opteron and postgresql
8.2 on SunFire X2100 , however performance is very
slow in contrast to linux debian in the same platform.
Is this normal?

Thanks & Regards
Mahi

Re: Performance is low Postgres+Solaris

От
Reid Thompson
Дата:

http://www.google.com/search?q=postgresql+solaris+tuning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://wikis.sun.com/display/DBonSolaris/PostgreSQL

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/postgresql_opensolaris.jsp

http://www.google.fr/search?q=site%3Asun.com+postgresql+tuning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Re: Performance is low Postgres+Solaris

От
Reid Thompson
Дата:
MUNAGALA REDDY wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are using solaris 10 x86/AMD Opteron and postgresql
> 8.2 on SunFire X2100 , however performance is very
> slow in contrast to linux debian in the same platform.
> Is this normal?
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Mahi

http://www.google.com/search?q=postgresql+solaris+tuning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Re: Performance is low Postgres+Solaris

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, MUNAGALA REDDY wrote:

> We are using solaris 10 x86/AMD Opteron and postgresql
> 8.2 on SunFire X2100 , however performance is very
> slow in contrast to linux debian in the same platform.

There are some significant differences between how Solaris caches database
files in both of its major filesystems (UFS and ZFS) compared to how Linux
handles caching.  Linux is much more aggressive in using lots of memory
effectively for database caching compared to an untuned Solaris 10.

I'd recommend the just published talk at
http://blogs.sun.com/jkshah/entry/postgresql_east_2008_talk_best for an
introduction to the details; the information at pages 8 and 9 there I
found particularly informative.